David Conn "kinda" free event - talking City and Manchester!

bluenova

Just wanted to publicise an event coming up on May 15th with David Conn.

It's part of the Prestwich Book Festival, and looks like a fascinating evening. Whether you agree or disagree with his views on City, he's a true fan, and he's rooted out many a footballing scandal in his time.

I know a lot of members are local, so please check out the other events happening. There's a free event with a guy from the Football Museum, some rocking (yes really) poetry nights, and more top authors than you can shake a stick at (not that you would - some of them are Booker Prize nominees and that's not appropriate).

It's only the second year of the festival and it's a really impressive line up.

Anyway - the David Conn event...

In association with the Manchester Jewish Museum, we are delighted to welcome award-winning author, journalist and broadcaster David Conn to the Prestwich Book Festival. David will read extracts from and talk about his book Richer Than God: Manchester City, Modern Football and Growing Up (just released in paperback).

David, a lifelong Manchester City fan, will explore and celebrate Manchester City’s transformation from "formerly miserable Manchester club" to Premier Football League champions. David will share his thoughts about British football's development into a global entertainment business.

He will also be sharing his memories of growing up in north Manchester’s Jewish community and how being a football supporter affected his Jewish life.

David Conn is widely regarded as the foremost investigative writer on the modern age of football. He writes for the Guardian and is the 2010 Sports News Reporter of the Year. He has three times been named Football Writer of the Year by the Football Supporters’ Federation for his investigative work.

http://www.prestwichbookfestival.net/david-conn.html

To be fair it's a decent book albeit with one or two glaring errors and i might go to this, as with the Gary James film thing tomorrow night anything City related is always good entertainment.

I enjoyed reading "Richer than God" but I am not sure about the reference to David being a lifelong City fan, in the publicity for this event.

In his book, David makes it clear that he supports FC United. Even if this was just a passing phase it rules out the description of life long fan.

The above didn't stop me from finding "Richer than God" a good read and it was very informative about our Abu Dhabi leaders.

Tim of the Oak said:
I enjoyed reading "Richer than God" but I am not sure about the reference to David being a lifelong City fan, in the publicity for this event.

In his book, David makes it clear that he supports FC United. Even if this was just a passing phase it rules out the description of life long fan.

The above didn't stop me from finding "Richer than God" a good read and it was very informative about our Abu Dhabi leaders.

Does he? I'm sure he just went to a few games and he enjoyed them, that's all...<br /><br />-- Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 pm --<br /><br />
Tim of the Oak said:

Does he? I'm sure he just went to a few games and he enjoyed them, that's all...

Tim of the Oak said:

I can assure you he's a lifelong City fan. He went to FC United for the book not because he supports them. But he does support the concept of fan ownership.

He's an FC ushited fan??!!??!!??!!??!!

Well he can fook off then

Whats the problem with FC United anyway? A load of fans fed up with how commercial and disconnected their club has become and decided to create a fan-run community club.

Quite admirable, I've met a lot of the fans who run FC Utd and I'm impreessed with their motives and ideas.

scall said:
Whats the problem with FC United anyway? A load of fans fed up with how commercial and disconnected their club has become and decided to create a fan-run community club.

Quite admirable, I've met a lot of the fans who run FC Utd and I'm impreessed with their motives and ideas.

quite admirable had they set up a community club with its own identity that was open to all and stuck to their principles

As opposed to piggy backing on the rags, being unwelcoming to non rag fans, running roughshod over community fears and casting aside their principles at the first whiff of TV money.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Tim of the Oak said:

I can assure you he's a lifelong City fan. He went to FC United for the book not because he supports them. But he does support the concept of fan ownership.

Ha i just knew you'd be looking out for your little friend, its cute.

pirate said:
scall said:

quite admirable had they set up a community club with its own identity that was open to all and stuck to their principles

As opposed to piggy backing on the rags, being unwelcoming to non rag fans, running roughshod over community fears and casting aside their principles at the first whiff of TV money.

Did I not also read that a fair few of them tend to still wear current rag shirts to their games, even though they are supposed to have turned their back on them and made their very club as a protest?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.