David Silva leaves City after 10 years

So the curtain finally comes down on David Silva’s Premier League career. An outpouring of sepia toned sentimentality is assured because there’s something about Dave that invokes feelings few other players have to power to inspire. Silva has been perhaps the shiniest of Sheikh Mansour’s gifts to football’s most loyal band of supporters and the faithful have certainly responded to the quiet unassuming little football genius from Gran Canaria, a man who has had more standing ovations than Bruce Springsteen on Broadway.

The “football genius” tag is overused but few players are on the same continent as Spanish Dave when it comes to ball playing intelligence. No one moves and finds space between the lines like our David. And, when you talk about movement, that is for me the most magical thing about Merlin, who is the embodiment of the beautiful game. He is the most beautiful player that I have ever seen and that’s not a comment on whether or not he could pass for a matinee idol: he is such a poised, graceful athlete; his balletic pirouettes are as aesthetically pleasing on the eye as anything I have witnessed on the field of play.

Silva’s performances are not just easy on the eye, his ability to find a killer pass (hello Edin) and to retain the ball under pressure have been key ingredients in the recipe for success that has brought a string of trophies to Manchester City over the past ten years. A decade during which David Silva has been central to the kind of dominance City have exerted over English football and which has seen El Mago become probably the club’s most beloved player ever and certainly a contender for the King’s crown.

The hope now is that his team mates can give him the send-off that he deserves by helping him lift the one piece of major silverware still missing from his storied career.

I sincerely hope the broadcasters stay at the Etihad after the final whistle, but we can at least watch it on the OS... if we can keep our eyes dry enough to see anything, of course.

Take a bow Merlin, I had a tear in my eye has he walked off the pitch, he turned around to clap an empty stadium, he deserved a full house, thank you for everything.

Someone's probably already mentioned it, but when he first came to us he hardly figured those first few months.
Never complained, just did his job settling in etc and finding his feet.
Has been the same ever since. Ultimate professional and one of the very few with a god given talent.
Ultimate respect to a fantastic player and a lovely man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.