De Jong??

robbieh

Strange last night that he did not get a run out.

Didn't play at Blackburn maybe for tactical reasons. Quite understandably.

But would have thought yesterday was ideal for him. And to give others a rest.

Especially when Barry came off. Why sub him with Etuhu?

Ireland is a fantastic player. But does he need to play the full ninety in every game. Especially a friendly.

TBH I thought Barry looked a tad slow yesterday. Several times getting caught in possession or passes a bit underhit. Not a major criticism.

Just thought De Jong should have got game time.

Maybe he was injured or maybe there has been a fall out with Hughes.

Does anyone know?

Was very hot and hughes rested players with minor knocks Rob,Ade...probably Dejong too.

Dont worry...Dejong was great for Holland last week..

He will get his games, in fact I am pretty sure he will start against Arsenal and away to the rags the following week. Also expect on Saturday for him to come on as a sub but as far as team is concerned same as against Blackburm.

He really expected to play in this match but must be very disappointed to be found later that he wasn't.
Nigel De Jong can't wait to tackle mighty Barcelona in the Nou Camp tonight after missing out on City's 2-0 opening-day Premier League victory at Blackburn Rovers.

The game's status as a prestige friendly means pride rather than points will be at stake against the European champions, but Dutch midfielder De Jong says that hardly matters.

Nigel said: "Playing Barcelona in the Nou Camp is a bit special, especially the form they are in now. We'll be able to see where we are standing after a long pre-season and that first game. We're all excited - I've never played at the Nou Camp, so this is my first time.

"I watched the Champions League final, I think everybody here did. Barca were very impressive, but they had been all season - that's why they won the three big prizes, the Spanish League and Cup as well as the Champions League. They play football at its best."

Manager Mark Hughes is expected to rest several key players, with young prospects such as Ryan McGivern, Vladi Weiss and Keiran Trippier all in the squad and desperate to be handed a role.

De Jong explained: "You have to spare a couple of players because you have to remember that it is still a friendly, and the season has started properly for us. You have to watch out with Saturday's game in mind, but of course, everybody wants to play against Barcelona."

Not least Nigel himself. The Holland star, fresh from a fine midweek performance against England, had to settle for a place on the bench at Ewood Park in a selection surprise.

He said: "I wanted to play at Blackburn, but it's the coach's decision and you have to accept that and work harder to get your place in the team.

"Everybody is expecting a lot from Manchester City this season, and it's not going to be easy to live up to - every team will be looking to beat us now. We have to stick together as a team and fight to try and win every match ... including tonight."

Everyone who didn't play was injured in some way. De Jong travelled, so he obviously got a knock whilst training there. Adebayor and Bridge didn't travel due to tightness in their groin and hamstring respectively. Robinho and Richards also have knocks. Zabaleta went off injured during the game. Add these to Kompany, Santa Cruz and Johnson and it's getting quite worrying.

Watching one of the highlights clips from last night and when City scored the camera showed Mark hughes....De jong was next to him with a huge smile on his face, I would expect that he was told he was too important to be risked for last night..

samharris said:
Watching one of the highlights clips from last night and when City scored the camera showed Mark hughes....De jong was next to him with a huge smile on his face, I would expect that he was told he was too important to be risked for last night..
I disagree. He would have at least been placed on the bench in case of emergency. If Hughes didn't want to use him, he would have just left him as an unused sub. The fact that he wasn't a sub suggests he took a knock whilst there, but his beaming smile on the bench does indicate it's nothing serious.

Tricky_Trev said:
samharris said:
I disagree. He would have at least been placed on the bench in case of emergency. If Hughes didn't want to use him, he would have just left him as an unused sub. The fact that he wasn't a sub suggests he took a knock whilst there, but his beaming smile on the bench does indicate it's nothing serious.

It also indicates that he wasnt upset about not getting a game which was my point.

bluethai said:
He really expected to play in this match but must be very disappointed to be found later that he wasn't.
Nigel De Jong can't wait to tackle mighty Barcelona in the Nou Camp tonight after missing out on City's 2-0 opening-day Premier League victory at Blackburn Rovers.

The game's status as a prestige friendly means pride rather than points will be at stake against the European champions, but Dutch midfielder De Jong says that hardly matters.

Nigel said: "Playing Barcelona in the Nou Camp is a bit special, especially the form they are in now. We'll be able to see where we are standing after a long pre-season and that first game. We're all excited - I've never played at the Nou Camp, so this is my first time.

"I watched the Champions League final, I think everybody here did. Barca were very impressive, but they had been all season - that's why they won the three big prizes, the Spanish League and Cup as well as the Champions League. They play football at its best."

Manager Mark Hughes is expected to rest several key players, with young prospects such as Ryan McGivern, Vladi Weiss and Keiran Trippier all in the squad and desperate to be handed a role.

De Jong explained: "You have to spare a couple of players because you have to remember that it is still a friendly, and the season has started properly for us. You have to watch out with Saturday's game in mind, but of course, everybody wants to play against Barcelona."

Not least Nigel himself. The Holland star, fresh from a fine midweek performance against England, had to settle for a place on the bench at Ewood Park in a selection surprise.

He said: "I wanted to play at Blackburn, but it's the coach's decision and you have to accept that and work harder to get your place in the team.

"Everybody is expecting a lot from Manchester City this season, and it's not going to be easy to live up to - every team will be looking to beat us now. We have to stick together as a team and fight to try and win every match ... including tonight."

A few players will be disappointed this season. They just need to knuckle down and train hard. This is what having a top class squad is about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.