Death

Death, do you ever think about it or is it a taboo subject, are you scared of it, do you believe there is an afterlife ?
Do you think we are born again, or enter into heaven ?

I don't know how many people on here have had a general anaesthetic, I have, and I imagine dying is a bit like that ie nothing.
Just like before you were born.
I used to worry about getting old and dying when I was a young kid. Especially at night in bed, used to shit me up!

My first proper girlfriend when I was 18 used to have counselling about the same thing when she was young.

Now, even though I’m getting older, I barely ever think about it. I think I’ve come to terms with the thought that we are just a collection of cells and when we die, we die, like any other collection of cells do and our collection of cells just rot in the ground and that’s that.

Now I know that’s the case, I’m fine with it. When I was a kid I went to a CofE Primary School and was brainwashed by religion and i think it used to worry me whether there was an afterlife and what it all meant… this is as a young 6-8 year old! But when I got to about 8 years old used to think “this is just a load of made up rubbish all this”, and by my teens I was a convinced atheist.

I’m more content with the fact that nobody “Rests In Peace”, there’s no afterlife, no spirits or souls, no ghosts, no heaven or hell, nobody looks down on us from above; than I would be if there was all these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should plan your life in quadrants, more as a financial thing as you get older:

Quad 1 - up to 20, enjoy your childhood and early adulthood, no ones expects too much at that age

Quad 2 - up to 40, settle on your career path, choose a life partner (or two, maybe 3!). Enjoy being a parent, make as much money as possible, drive a fast car, don’t give your mates up, you’ll need them in Quads 3 and 4

Quad 3 - up to 60, eventually wind work down, kids left or on the brink of leaving, becoming a grand parent, meeting up with friends for football, golf, hobbies, just a drink, time away from your life partner, applies to both.

Quad 4 (mine) - up to 80

Work your income out up to about 80, don’t bother after that, you’ll be fucked. Do as much as possible, bucket list if you like. Chances are you have lost friends and every funeral you go to of your contemporaries has fewer and fewer people. Enjoy your latter years, you are on the path of life, look ahead, there’s a bit left, look behind there’s a fucking big road that you have trampled. Just enjoy.

The suffering bit that everybody dreads.

When my lad was in RMCH sepsis, necrotic pancreas and an hospital bourne infection he was climbing the walls despite being on Iv ket /Iv morphine/iv paracetamol. The pain team got involved and started to reduce the pain relief causing an immediate escalation in his condition. Had a bit of beef with one of the consultants who gave me chapter and verse on the long term effects of opiate use..."Look at him, and you are worried about how he will be in 6 month, you are not even sure he will be alive next week"...seemed to wake him up and the opiates got turned back up.
For me, when I was young, it was the thought that I wouldn’t be here anymore that I used to dread. Not so much the path to dying, just actually being dead.

It's God's cruel joke or something, that he makes us self conscious enough to envisage our own demise.
I think about it quite a bit, sometimes it frightens me, and at other times it does too. My mum and my dad are still alive, so I at least want them to die before me. But in my 20's I went and had kids, and with all the will in the world I can't see me outliving those guys. I'm gonna disappoint somebody at some point :/ I guess we all are (gonna do that)
My thing is, i always keep enough in my account for my funeral, so I don't burden anyone monetarily, I call it a coffin float. It's annoying because even though I say (and I'm sure others do too) 'when I die, just hide me in the bin with the grass and food and stuff' I know that's probably not gonna happen. My loved ones are gonna use my coffin float and spend it on food and booze and a suit and a coffin

It's God's cruel joke or something, that he makes us self conscious enough to envisage our own demise.
I think about it quite a bit, sometimes it frightens me, and at other times it does too. My mum and my dad are still alive, so I at least want them to die before me. But in my 20's I went and had kids, and with all the will in the world I can't see me outliving those guys. I'm gonna disappoint somebody at some point :/ I guess we all are (gonna do that)
My thing is, i always keep enough in my account for my funeral, so I don't burden anyone monetarily, I call it a coffin float. It's annoying because even though I say (and I'm sure others do too) 'when I die, just hide me in the bin with the grass and food and stuff' I know that's probably not gonna happen. My loved ones are gonna use my coffin float and spend it on food and booze and a suit and a

Part of a poem I remember from school:
"A foolish, fond old man, his bedtime nigh
Who still at western windows stays to win a transient respite from the latening sky
And scarce can bear it when the sun goes in."
- Walter De La Mare.

As I come upto retirement even though I will be relatively young at 53 my daughter will only be 10, I’d like to think I’d see grandkids, my gran died at the age of 100 last year and my mum is still going strong at 72, she’s definitely got her genes, so you never know. Ive seen enough death in the last 20 years some in the worst ways possible that i know you could walk out the door and boom you’re gone. I hope I get to go in my sleep peacefully at 110 and not some shit cancer way, horrible fucking disease.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.