Debt Advice

markyboyblue

Just wondered if anyone has any advice on a bit of a legal issue.

My wife has a council tax debt from 7 years ago that the bailiffs have recently contacted her about. We have arranged a payment plan so it is being paid off. Bit ridiculous really as not heard anything for all this time and she moved 2 miles away still within same council authority, now fees added etc. Anyway virtually all our household items were bought by me and before we were married ( 2 years ago). Can bailiffs take items that I bought before we were married? Or do her debts become my/our debts now we are married?

I have asked CAB and Money advice line but they didn't know.

They can take the items mate. If they belong to you and youre the husband they are joint possessions. If you've arranged a payment plan they wont even come round.

I always thought you got proper fucked for not paying your council tax.

Rosler1985 said:
They can take the items mate. If they belong to you and youre the husband they are joint possessions. If you've arranged a payment plan they wont even come round.

You do, no way it can get written off or anything. The thing that gets me is how it took them 7 yrs to finally send a letter. Suppose that's the benefit of giving forwarding addresses so you cam sort problems sooner.

As long as you don't let them in your property they can not force entry although they can enter via open doors or windows which is very rare. They can only remove goods that belong to the debtor - have they obtained a ccj and the bailiff is executing a warrant of execution?

If they have only just contacted you after 6 years, the debt is usually statute barred.<br /><br />-- Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 pm --<br /><br />
Rosler1985 said:

that's not correct.

urban genie said:
https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-bailiffs/what-you-can-do-when-a-bailiff-visits

this might help you mate I far as I know if you possessed them solely and if you have proof of ownership then they cannot class them as joint, Is it he council that still hold the debt or have they sold it on?

That looks helpful, cheers I,l have a good read. We have agreed a payment plan with CAB involved and are paying but they want more. Fuckin dirty scouse bullies!

BlueSniffer said:
As long as you don't let them in your property they can not force entry although they can enter via open doors or windows which is very rare. They can only remove goods that belong to the debtor - have they obtained a ccj and the bailiff is executing a warrant of execution?

If they have only just contacted you after 6 years, the debt is usually statute barred.

-- Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 pm --

Rosler1985 said:

that's not correct.

It is when he can't prove he once solely owned them. Which 9 times out of 10 people can't.

The bailifs will not enforce and effect removal of any goods if you keep to your arrangement.
Pay off the debt and repair the credit files.
If you jointly apply for credit obviously this will have an adverse effect on your abilty to obtain future goods or services.
Experian and equifax hold files on your credit associations and it is therefore important to pay of this debt.
It will remain on her files for a period of six years.
Her debts were created by herself and are her sole responsibility but as explained you have a degree of financial association with her now.
Bailifs will establish ownership and remove goods to pay of the debt.
You need not let it progress this far by clearing the debt in installments agreed.
Disclaimer.
I am only a taxi driver and although incedibly savy in all human matters including the weather what time i'm on till and if ive been busy.
I am not an expert in this chosen field.
Although I offer this free advice please seek legal advice if the debt is unmanageable.
The outlook for tommorow is sunny spells with a small chance of precipitation.
Good luck pal
All the best
Taxi:

Taximania said:
The bailifs will not enforce and effect removal of any goods if you keep to your arrangement.
Pay off the debt and repair the credit files.
If you jointly apply for credit obviously this will have an adverse effect on your abilty to obtain future goods or services.
Experian and equifax hold files on your credit associations and it is therefore important to pay of this debt.
It will remain on her files for a period of six years.
Her debts were created by herself and are her sole responsibility but as explained you have a degree of financial association with her now.
Bailifs will establish ownership and remove goods to pay of the debt.
You need not let it progress this far by clearing the debt in installments agreed.
Disclaimer.
I am only a taxi driver and although incedibly savy in all human matters including the weather what time i'm on till and if ive been busy.
I am not an expert in this chosen field.
Although I offer this free advice please seek legal advice if the debt is unmanageable.
The outlook for tommorow is sunny spells with a small chance of precipitation.
Good luck pal
All the best
Taxi:

Thanks for that. We have been paying in instalments but now they say they want more each month and we are getting hand delivered letters saying REMOVAL OF GOODS. If I eventually speak to him should be able to get it sorted.

Didn't realise they could take the stuff I bought though and how tricky that area is.

One question for you.

What time you on til?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.