Deep Fakes

I don't think anyone thinks that a picture of a celebrity online or in a magazine is genuine...do they? They are always touched up, blemishes removed etc etc which is why you get other websites showing "oh my God you won't fucking believe pictures of "so and so" without make up"...

The thing is...I rarely watch a news programme. Or read a newspaper. Or indeed take my views and opinions from youtubers. In fact most of the world passes me by. Except for the bits I search out. Did you know they have found a Roman Villa in Warwick and are going to rebury it under a new school? That's my kind of news. I'm not that interested in Trump, May, Corbyn and all the other posturers in the world. They have little or no direct effect on my life.

Am I normal? Or in a minority? Do people genuinely believe everything they read/ watch and actively seek out news/ fake news in a multitude of ways?

Sounds normal to me. I don't watch the news and actually picked up a paper today for the first time in years.
Did you know that Marlon Brando fucked Richard Prior and that he would apparently fuck anything, even a mailbox.

Scary stuff to think of the millions of applications this could be used for , to fabricate news and ruin reputations and all sorts of shite.

In the post modern world there is no such thing as truth. Everything is as real as everything else. Everything is as valid as everything else and therefore everyone is as right as everyone else.

The post modernists killed the concept of true.

This tech has been floating around for a while but it has seemingly just hit the mainstream. Informational video about what it is that people really should watch:

The question is that as technology rapidly increases, especially the ability of AI to mimic and simulate human features, how will we ever be able to ascertain the true from the false?

People often point to Photoshopped pictures as a nice comforting blanket - we can pretty much all spot a 'shopped picture right? But that's more to do with the talent of the artist (or lack thereof) than anything else. We don't instantly recognise touched up pictures as fakes.

I'd argue that the biggest societal development over the past 18 years has been the rise of "fake news" in terms of the muddying effect between what is real and not real. And they all do it, the Canary to Guido, the Guardian to the Mail; the money as every football fan knows is in inflaming rather than informing and losing the context of a story is now a professional discipline in itself.

How will the next generations be able to keep themselves informed and critically analyse news when even footage can be faked with high accuracy?

Fake news is not on the rise, it's always been here. Even the BBC are at it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.