Defense

bondsman

Last season I commented on here that rm had improved everyone of our defensive players. I think the issue this year has been we haven't had that defensive solidarity to build on. Say what you like about nasty but vk and lescott were awesome last year and we undoubtedly miss Micah as well as zab is playing. Plus Barry and de Jong offered so much more than Barry and Garcia. The best work rm, who I love btw way, did in making us a top team seems undone. We seem to have lost our heart and aggression. Without either we will win sod all.

We just haven't scored enough goals, its the simple answer. Our defence has been as good as last season in terms of goals conceded, granted we may have missed Micah to give Zaba a rest, and Nasty has displaced Lescott but we have not leaked goals.

At the end of the day we have not taken our chances as we did last season and in tight games this hurts, not just in terms of goals scored but also when we have to chase the game for a winner and become more exposed to a counter attack.

Missed too many chances and not scored the goals simple.

Comrade Buka said:
2013 February
Goals made: 48
Goals allowed: 24

2012 February
Goals made: 67
Goals allowed: 19

Do you still think goals allowed is the problem?

I think that's pretty much killed this thread.

bondsman said:
Last season I commented on here that rm had improved everyone of our defensive players. I think the issue this year has been we haven't had that defensive solidarity to build on. Say what you like about nasty but vk and lescott were awesome last year and we undoubtedly miss Micah as well as zab is playing. Plus Barry and de Jong offered so much more than Barry and Garcia. The best work rm, who I love btw way, did in making us a top team seems undone. We seem to have lost our heart and aggression. Without either we will win sod all.

Rubbish..

We have conceded least goals at home in the prem and are 3rd best team for goals conceded away from home. Joe Hart has the most clean sheets. So how is the defence at fault, weaker?

It comes down to not enough goals scored plain and simple. Especially away from home.

Defence looks pretty solid normally. I agree with the other posters, goals win matches. Keeping a clean sheet just means you cannot be beat. Our games in Europe and matches against the top six suggest we are not good enough attacking wise.

midfield is the real problem.

too slow and lethargic, not enough cover for the defence and not enough supply up top.

ChippyPerthBlue said:
We just haven't scored enough goals, its the simple answer. Our defence has been as good as last season in terms of goals conceded, granted we may have missed Micah to give Zaba a rest, and Nasty has displaced Lescott but we have not leaked goals.

At the end of the day we have not taken our chances as we did last season and in tight games this hurts, not just in terms of goals scored but also when we have to chase the game for a winner and become more exposed to a counter attack.

Missed too many chances and not scored the goals simple.

This is the single reason why we aren't riding high. Had ten percent of the wasted chances gone in, which they did last season, we wouldn't be lagging behind the worst MANUre set of shysters since '74. If you look at other teams, even those down at the bottom, is there a more profligate set of strikers in the PL?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.