Defensive Midfielder

ws01

I think it's become abundantly clear not only to myself but many of our supporters that we do not have another high quality DM to play in a midfield 3 alongside Yaya and Fern when against European competition or tricky away sides in the Prem.

Against lower qualities sides and at home, we can get away with only the two there. Against the aforementioned opposition, we get exposed and Yaya's lack of defensive work & mobility can stick out likes dogs balls. A class acquisition would allow us to obviously control the middle a lot better which is in usual case very much one of our strengths. As yet we do not have ability to be able to rely heavily on the counter, so it's imperative that our midfield at very least holds their own when we play the Bayern's of the world.

Who would you want realistically, and why? I'm unsure myself at the moment.

The internal muppet in me keeps says that jeez it would've been just brilliant if we'd only signed that other Javi that went to Bayern instead of the one we signed from Benfica. How bloody good would this side be with a Martinez, Yaya and Fernandinho (or other similar type player) combo?

It really is a game of inches, that one bad transfer window has really caused a longer term problem for us.

Gundogan would be the best signing, Vidal is older and Seria As standard isn't the best.

Mascherano could be another shout.

Matuidi. Less than one year left in his contract.

Or maybe Fernando from Porto.

Code:
Train said:

Isn't Matuidi box to box though??

We need a De Rossi or a Mascherano type player who will just play in front of the center halves!

sam-caddick said:
Code:
Train said:

We need a De Rossi or a Mascherano type player who will just play in front of the center halves!

Philip Lahm surely ??

Seriously I think Gundogan would be a good bet, but Javi Martinez is also a good shout. Not too sure about the likes of Matuida (?) and Kondogbia, haven't seen enough of them.

Why don't City sign a couple more quality centre-backs and play Vinny as a defensive midfielder. He can tackle, pass and intercept, a much better player now than when we got him and if Lahm can be moved about then maybe Vinny would be injured less if he moved forward out of defence. If he wasn't the last line he may play a little more within himself and not overstretch himself and get injured every other game.

Just an idea, and will probably elicit cries from some that we can't move our best centre back, but a move might be what he needs to improve the team, but very dependant on who we have at centre-back.

sam-caddick said:
Code:
Train said:

He's a defensive/box-to-box midfielder who has good technique, is aggressive and tenacious, has good stamina and is very mobile. He will fit perfectly behind Fernandinho and Yaya as i think he's more disciplined in this role than the other two.

Plus if either one of Fernandinho or Yaya get injured, the drop in quality won't be so large as having Garcia or Rodwell come in.

Matuidi averages 3 tackles and 2.3 interceptions per game, slightly less than his last seasons average.

MJepsenJensen said:
Gundogan would be the best signing, Vidal is older and Seria As standard isn't the best.

Mascherano could be another shout.

I don't think we'd be able to prise away Gundogan from Dortmund. He's too important for them IMO.

Plus, isn't he more of a deep lying playmaker rather than a physical, defense oriented player? I'm talking about a guy who could realistically slot into centre half at any given moment (like Garcia, expect a bit more competently).

In a perfect world I would swap Garcia for Martinez, although he'd probably cost a small fortune and would probably be reluctant to leave the best club side in the world.

Can't see PSG selling Matuidi he's been brilliant for them this season.

Some possible options -
Sven Bender
Nemanja Matic
Lars Bender

Would love a Gundogan or Vidal but their price tags would be £40 million plus.

Disappointed what's happened with Rodwell this season he was brilliant at the back end of last season and you could see why we paid the money we did but it seems he can't overcome his injury problems.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.