Denis Law diagnosed with Alzheimers and vascular dementia

i got to know two of Denis’s lads in the 80s, Gary and Andy. Hung around with them in Altrincham and Bowden. We were scroats from Moss Side that palled up with other misfits from Sale. Me white and my best mate black. Whenever we were up there we had a lot of attitude. Not from the Law family. They accepted anyone and I remember staying at their house and waking up to Denis asking if I wanted breakfast. His lovely wife looking after us and being genuinely interested in us and what we were up to. Playing pool in the pool room and just joking around with him. Now given that I have been going to city since the age of 2 and I am now 55, you can imagine I was awe struck. I realised very quickly that your hero’s can sometimes match up to your perception of them. The whole family didn’t care one iota about where you were from. By treating us as equals they gave us more than they could imagine, particularly as at that time there was a lot of post code prejudice and racism. I am no longer in touch with any of them but know that if I bumped into any of the Law family tomorrow they would be exactly the same. God bless Denis….. love and best wishes to the family.

i got to know two of Denis’s lads in the 80s, Gary and Andy. Hung around with them in Altrincham and Bowden. We were scroats from Moss Side that palled up with other misfits from Sale. Me white and my best mate black. Whenever we were up there we had a lot of attitude. Not from the Law family. They accepted anyone and I remember staying at their house and waking up to Denis asking if I wanted breakfast. His lovely wife looking after us and being genuinely interested in us and what we were up to. Playing pool in the pool room and just joking around with him. Now given that I have been going to city since the age of 2 and I am now 55, you can imagine I was awe struck. I realised very quickly that your hero’s can sometimes match up to your perception of them. The whole family didn’t care one iota about where you were from. By treating us as equals they gave us more than they could imagine, particularly as at that time there was a lot of post code prejudice and racism. I am no longer in touch with any of them but know that if I bumped into any of the Law family tomorrow they would be exactly the same. God bless Denis….. love and best wishes to the family.
Great post fella

A fine Rangers supporting Aberdonian
0_Screenshot-2020-03-06-at-160235.png

What a wonderful footballer, and what a wonderful football man. As a kid, I was at his first home game for City against West Ham after we signed him from Huddersfield. He'd made his debut at Leeds the previous Saturday and I well remember him having a scrap with John Bond. Nowadays they would both have been sent off, but they just got a talking to from the ref, shook hands & got on with the game. I've always forgiven him for moving to the dark side as he returned to us and gave 100% for City during that swan song. I have many happy memories of Denis in a City shirt - one in particular !

Another great story there.
I met Denis a few times and my Mrs knew him through her work on tv.
We both found him an absolute gentleman who always had time for a chat.

I wish it was that simple, there was no one brighter or more active than my old dad but sadly he had Alzheimers for the last 10 years of his life, forget the crosswords, just get out there and enjoy yourselfs while your fit & healthy.
I agree, just exercising the mind isn't enough. We've got a big plot of land which keeps us both active, plus our son has an old cottage that needs lots of D-I-Y and gardening. I am busier now than when I worked - or it seems that way.

A man who can be admired by the whole of Manchester, not many footballers can do that but Denis can.

I agree, just exercising the mind isn't enough. We've got a big plot of land which keeps us both active, plus our son has an old cottage that needs lots of D-I-Y and gardening. I am busier now than when I worked - or it seems that way.
Sounds great, just remember to take some time out now & again to enjoy where you are & what you are doing, all the best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.