Denis Law on his 'Lost 6 goals' against Luton

Mad Eyed Screamer

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30821060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30821060</a>
The unluckiest player in fourth-round history?
From a story of success to one of misfortune - former Scotland striker Denis Law once scored six goals in a fourth-round game, but still ended up on the losing side.

The fixture in question took place in 1961, during Law's first spell at Manchester City.

Playing against second tier Luton Town at Kenilworth Road, Law had scored all of City's goals as the Division One side led the Hatters 6-2 before the game was abandoned in the 69th minute because of a waterlogged pitch.

The scoreline was subsequently wiped and the game played from scratch a few days later.

Denis Law Denis Law won the FA Cup in 1963 with Manchester United

"At the time, I was fairly relaxed about it," Law, now 74 - who also played for Huddersfield Town, Torino and most famously, Manchester United - tells BBC Sport.

"I was only young. I just thought, it doesn't matter, we will beat them in the second game anyway. As it turned out, when we played again the pitch was far worse. The pitch was so muddy the ball didn't really roll at all."

Law did score again, but this time City lost 3-1.

"It just turned out to be a disaster," he adds. "The feeling at losing was far worse than the frustration at the first match being abandoned. We just felt it was a case of turning up and getting the same result."

To top it all off, those six goals would have ensured Law's name went into the FA Cup history books. If they had counted, he would have finished as the 20th century's top scorer in the FA Cup with 47 goals. That honour instead went to former Liverpool striker Ian Rush, who scored 44.

"I never scored six in a game after that," Law says. "The most I got was four, when I was at Manchester United. The only time I scored six was in a five-a-side game after I retired."

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30821060
From a story of success to one of misfortune - former Scotland striker Denis Law once scored six goals in a fourth-round game, but still ended up on the losing side.

The fixture in question took place in 1961, during Law's first spell at Manchester City.

Playing against second tier Luton Town at Kenilworth Road, Law had scored all of City's goals as the Division One side led the Hatters 6-2 before the game was abandoned in the 69th minute because of a waterlogged pitch.

The scoreline was subsequently wiped and the game played from scratch a few days later.

"At the time, I was fairly relaxed about it," Law, now 74 - who also played for Huddersfield Town, Torino and most famously, Manchester United - tells BBC Sport.

"I was only young. I just thought, it doesn't matter, we will beat them in the second game anyway. As it turned out, when we played again the pitch was far worse. The pitch was so muddy the ball didn't really roll at all."

"It just turned out to be a disaster," he adds. "The feeling at losing was far worse than the frustration at the first match being abandoned. We just felt it was a case of turning up and getting the same result."

To top it all off, those six goals would have ensured Law's name went into the FA Cup history books. If they had counted, he would have finished as the 20th century's top scorer in the FA Cup with 47 goals. That honour instead went to former Liverpool striker Ian Rush, who scored 44.

"I never scored six in a game after that," Law says. "The most I got was four, when I was at Manchester United. The only time I scored six was in a five-a-side game after I retired."

my fav bit of that article are the words LAW now 74......Cant think why , but they just have a certain nice ring to them....lol.

i remember as a kid having the old football player cards with interesting facts on the back of them , the law 6 goals in a cup tie but ended up a loser is one of them, as was peter lorimer,s nickname hotshot and arbroath beating bon accord i think 36-0 as the record british football score.....happy days

dennishasdoneit said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

my fav bit of that article are the words LAW now 74......Cant think why , but they just have a certain nice ring to them....lol.

i remember as a kid having the old football player cards with interesting facts on the back of them , the law 6 goals in a cup tie but ended up a loser is one of them, as was peter lorimer,s nickname hotshot and arbroath beating bon accord i think 36-0 as the record british football score.....happy days
Chortle.

dennishasdoneit said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I always remember the 36-0 Arbroath score through the back of those football cards. Anyone remember throwing them against a wall...nearest wins the lot?

m7mcfc said:
dennishasdoneit said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I always remember the 36-0 Arbroath score through the back of those football cards. Anyone remember throwing them against a wall...nearest wins the lot?

Yep!..had a lot of fun with those cards!! Another one i remember was the story of" Pickles", the dog who apparently found the missing 1966 world cup trophy under a hedge or something...nice story,altho knowing what i know now about the press im less inclined to believe it!

The Pickles story is pretty accurate. Anyone remember the episode of the much-missed "Early Doors" when Eddie gets the answer "Pickles" correct and never stops bragging about it?

(I wish they'd bring Early Doors back!)

Big Swifty said:
The Pickles story is pretty accurate. Anyone remember the episode of the much-missed "Early Doors" when Eddie gets the answer "Pickles" correct and never stops bragging about it?

(I wish they'd bring Early Doors back!)

out of interest, how do you know pickles was accurate..i mean what happened, did Fingers malone and bob the hat nick the cup from the back seat of bobby moores car and then think, oh fuck how are we gonna sell this facker?...i know, lets go for a jar or two and stash it here under this hedge..we can pick it up later when we,ve sorted a plan.

I must be one of the few, very few posters who attended the game. City were 2 down when he scored his first after around 15 min, his 6th came 5 min before the twat called the game off, Law scored 6 goals in 50 min that day.
Agenda? what are you on about.
Have to say Mario gave me the same feeling a few times as Law did in his first spell at City.

dawlish dave said:
I must be one of the few, very few posters who attended the game. City were 2 down when he scored his first after around 15 min, his 6th came 5 min before the twat called the game off, Law scored 6 goals in 50 min that day.
Agenda? what are you on about.
Have to say Mario gave me the same feeling a few times as Law did in his first spell at City.

Anyone else with memories of this game, either the abandoned match or the defeat?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.