Depeche Mode

Innsbruckblue said:
Never been a fan of them, apart from a couple of songs. Over here though, they're massive. There's a Depeche Mode club night every month, and cars drive around with DM stickers on the back. Someone once told me it's cos the GDR politicians deemed them one of the few western bands suitable for the populace to listen to.

They were massive in west germany too and they gave a lot of concerts there. And one in East Berlin, as one of the few western bands that played there. A lot of GDR teens copied their style, maybe a form of protest that other than punk didn´t end up in trouble with the authorities. That Depeche Mode club nights, you find them in many parts of germany. There is even a Depeche Mode sightseeing tour in Berlin.

Some great event, i think the 1984 Olympics, had been covered with the "People are People" song on german tv. Couldn´t get it out of my head for weeks at the time. Wasn´t a great fan, because the wrong people were their fans (at my school).

manimanc said:
Davs mate they're class,not everybodies cup of tea but they've stood the test of time and keep churning out these great songs and albums year after year,the song..
What groups float your boat then?

I was in a mischeivous mood to be fair mate. I think Vince is a talented bloke and I do like a bit of their stuff. Music's a very personal thing, I just find them a bit repetitive.

What floats my boat ? No one band in particular. I'm listening to a playlist as I type that includes : Weezer, Joy Division, Roses, Bombay Bicycle Club, Jesus & Mary Chain, Arcade Fire, Goodfinger, Television,The Donna's & The La's. Tomorrow's another day ;')

Ruhr said:
Innsbruckblue said:
Never been a fan of them, apart from a couple of songs. Over here though, they're massive. There's a Depeche Mode club night every month, and cars drive around with DM stickers on the back. Someone once told me it's cos the GDR politicians deemed them one of the few western bands suitable for the populace to listen to.

They were massive in west germany too and they gave a lot of concerts there. And one in East Berlin, as one of the few western bands that played there. A lot of GDR teens copied their style, maybe a form of protest that other than punk didn´t end up in trouble with the authorities. That Depeche Mode club nights, you find them in many parts of germany. There is even a Depeche Mode sightseeing tour in Berlin.

Some great event, i think the 1984 Olympics, had been covered with the "People are People" song on german tv. Couldn´t get it out of my head for weeks at the time. Wasn´t a great fan, because the wrong people were their fans (at my school).

I had a Russian pen pal in the early 1990's and he was mad about them. He was about 45 and I got the sense he had followed them for years, even from their early days when the Iron Curtain was still in existence.

I think Depeche Mode are a great band.... Going in different guises since Speak and Spell and they have a huge following globally..

Not everybody's cup of tea but thank god we're not all the same

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.