Depression, addressing it and moving on / anti depressants

Never taken any related medication as I was afraid of becoming dependent on them, however this isn't to say that you might feel the same about that.

I attended counselling for at least 6 months and personally found it helpful. Again, this may not be for everybody, but I personally found it a great relief to be able to talk about things I was uncomfortable discussing with most people close to me. I'll be honest with you, part of that relies on working with a counsellor that you feel you can trust and that creates a "safe space" for you. If you are based in Cheshire I could recommend a good counsellor to you via PM.

Whatever you are feeling, please be assured that it is incredibly most likely not unusual and you won't have been the only person to ever experience those feelings. You aren't weird and you certainly aren't weak.

I'm not 100% all of the time, but I know i've had worse :) its a terrible cliché but there is always a brighter day.

I know where you're at. I have until recently been taking tablets for anxiety, and they worked for me, just took the edge off, you know? Tried CBT but didn't find it any help at all, but what works for one person etc.
When you know what it is that sets you off then you can beat it. For me it was the job I'd been doing for 20 years, so I made the change, and now I don't need the tablets.
Good luck OP

Bit of a deep one this. I've been unhappy for years, and never addressed it. I've had an ex who was depressed, and I didn't know how to handle it and I tried to hide from it because I've felt bad myself.

Recently I've had problems with a relationship, and the sh!t hit the fan. It's like all my scars have come back and years of hiding problems has just exploded.

I had to leave work yesterday, and went to the Drs today and explained everything I feel. They've suggested counselling and anti depressants. I don't want to take them. Has anyone taken them and what do they do? I'm going to do research when I get home but think I've decided. I know my issues and what's wrong, and want to be happy, but I'm not sure numbing things out with pills is good.

I feel flat as a pancake today, but admitting to it does feel good, like a weight off my shoulders. If anyone else feels this way I suggest addressing it. I've grown up in a family where you're just told to cheer up and be happy. Think talking might be the other way to go.

I think one of the major issues we face as men, particularly from working class background's, is the notion that men just get on with it and talking about how you feel was not on.

I'm from Glasgow, not known for its men being open about issues like this. Things are changing though and not before time. I'm sure the same cultural situation was alive and well there too.

Talking to someone is the first step and takes courage. You have done that so you are already on the road to helping yourself.

I would agree with the view expressed that this is first and foremost a personal fight with our natural, conditioned response of trying to ignore it and just soldier on. This never works. You end up affecting people around you who don't realise what you are going through. If you fucked your leg you wouldn't be at all worried about talking how it affected you. We need the same attitude with mental health.

A few years ago at a night we had with the mates playing music in our studio one of the guys mentioned he was a bit down. he was having problems in his marriage through it. We tried to give him a boost but it soon got all of us saying at times we felt the same way. He felt better knowing he wasn't alone, or weak. At the end of it we all felt better having accepted we can all be fucked up.

He talked to his wife, sought help, she began to understand and supported him. It's a thing that stays, but you develop strategies to deal with it preventing you sinking further than you need.

As I said you have dealt with the hardest part admitting it and asking for help. Well done and as you can see from the replies, greetin faced argumentative cunts as we all are, are putting an arm around you.

I hope you get the help you need and are able to improve how you feel. You are not alone mate and I wish you well.

I feel for you. First of all, let me congratulate you on identifying the issue you need to tackle. That's ownership and, believe it or not, one of the biggest steps you can make towards stepping into the ring with your personal battle. The hardest fight is preparing to fight what's waiting for you.

I told another poster what I firmly believe, that fighting the fight you want to naturally run away from is the only way you get to the other side.

Yes, exercise, but that has to go hand in hand being ready to fight back.

How far can rock bottom be? As far as you want to fall.

But, luckily, you're ready to halt the fall and you can't dismiss that important aspect.

Maybe a counsellor will work for you; it didn't for me. I found them soft actioning when I wanted them to shake me and make me fight.

So I did it myself when I'd had enough of being scared of confronting the issue.

From the depth of a mental hospital 17ish years ago to here imploring you to fight.

Only when you're ready...

What the absolute fook??!! Have you ever been depressed via life experience?

What has a chemical restructure got to do with the OP's IDENTIFIED problem? He knows EXACTLY WHY he's depressed!!

I understand what you're talking about, but this is not the same thing!

Unless, of course, the OP has a hormonal imbalance that leads along the same lines as bipolar, schizophrenia etc., then I would agree!

Stop. You're talking about things you don't know about and in turn spreading dangerous misinformation. You're entitled to believe whatever claptrap you like but you're not entitled to spread that harmful view to others.

Neurotransmitter reabsorbtion problems are literally what depression currently is defined as. It is NOT bipolar or schizophrenia which are entirely different things.

Again, you're entitled to your poorly educated viewpoint but in a thread where there's people who are wondering whether to take the medicine that will help their problem because social pressure from other poorly educated people, you need to shut up.

I am suspect of all medication as I had American friends on holiday in Ireland, of the four all were on meds.(seemed more of an american medical scam to me) For an attention disorder....basically they were on speed. So I try and stay away from pills, other friends have had to go through weening themselves away from meds which is a feat in itself. Be proud when you do and stay healthy blue!

Best wishes!

Stop. You're talking about things you don't know about and in turn spreading dangerous misinformation. You're entitled to believe whatever claptrap you like but you're not entitled to spread that harmful view to others.

Neurotransmitter reabsorbtion problems are literally what depression currently is defined as. It is NOT bipolar or schizophrenia which are entirely different things.

Again, you're entitled to your poorly educated viewpoint but in a thread where there's people who are wondering whether to take the medicine that will help their problem because social pressure from other poorly educated people, you need to shut up.
For me, 'shut up' is a definition of depression that is closer to truth than 'a neurotransmitter reabsorbtion problem.' Better still I would say that depression is a state of being closed down and the process of healing is one of learning to 'open up'. Whether that involves pills, talking therapy, exercise, something else.... all of/a mix of/none of these...comes to feel less important - whatever works for each individual is best (even if that might seem like misinformation from a certain perspective)

I've been taking anxiety tablets and recently just stopped going to see a councilor. I suffer/have suffered from anxiety and depression and its effected my life in a big way tbh. lots of things happened when i was younger, family death, struggles at school and unfortunately have considered suicide in the past.

id agree with what others have said. i got to point where i couldn't do anything and would be so down, i ignored it for years until i felt like i was having a breakdown. I was recommended to see a councellor and it was one of the best things I've done. to be able to talk through your problems that you've kept hidden for years is almost a big relief. you can get all the emotion/worries out and let someone given you a different perspective. they gave me a different way of thinking and different ways of dealing with it. Its still really hard at times, but its helped. I'm 23 and i think its a big problem among young males, where i went the majority where young males swell.

i hope you get the help you need mate.

I think one of the major issues we face as men, particularly from working class background's, is the notion that men just get on with it and talking about how you feel was not on.

I'm from Glasgow, not known for its men being open about issues like this. Things are changing though and not before time. I'm sure the same cultural situation was alive and well there too.

Talking to someone is the first step and takes courage. You have done that so you are already on the road to helping yourself.

I would agree with the view expressed that this is first and foremost a personal fight with our natural, conditioned response of trying to ignore it and just soldier on. This never works. You end up affecting people around you who don't realise what you are going through. If you fucked your leg you wouldn't be at all worried about talking how it affected you. We need the same attitude with mental health.

A few years ago at a night we had with the mates playing music in our studio one of the guys mentioned he was a bit down. he was having problems in his marriage through it. We tried to give him a boost but it soon got all of us saying at times we felt the same way. He felt better knowing he wasn't alone, or weak. At the end of it we all felt better having accepted we can all be fucked up.

He talked to his wife, sought help, she began to understand and supported him. It's a thing that stays, but you develop strategies to deal with it preventing you sinking further than you need.

As I said you have dealt with the hardest part admitting it and asking for help. Well done and as you can see from the replies, greetin faced argumentative cunts as we all are, are putting an arm around you.

I hope you get the help you need and are able to improve how you feel. You are not alone mate and I wish you well.

Great post Pole.
I've been the victim of depression for the last 7 years. Luckily not me personally but my wife has been battling it with all her might. We have got through the worst bit,s more or less, but the fucker still wont leave her for good.
She's like a bloke in the 'keep it to yourself' department and it takes a lot to get her to talk. But talk she does and it's the best weapon she has in her fight.

He does have a point about the curing or management of said illness being about emotive wellbeing rather than scientific wellbeing

Sometimes, although you're right on the science part, using emotional remedies are more effective in the eyes of the patient

He does have a point about the curing or management of said illness being about emotive wellbeing rather than scientific wellbeing

Sometimes, although you're right on the science part, using emotional remedies are more effective in the eyes of the patient

The problem with this is that it creates pseudo-cures based on placebo effects. Then these placebo effects build a reputation for effectiveness that they do not deserve and some choose the fake rather than the real.

This happens all the time in tragic cases with things like cancers. People who believed they were cured by copper wristbands, "electromagnetic therapy" or some other quackery. It's not a problem for people to believe this themselves but when they start recommending it to somebody asking if they should undergo chemotherapy then it becomes a moral issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.