Depression

arfurclue

I have lived a life that feels like I have lived life in a darkened room. I have tried to understand this room so as to become 'enlightened' and thus light up the room. Yet this seems not the same as choosing to switch on the light. In this way, the light has not 'understood' the darkness but its presence dispels the darkness. In a similar way, I have tried so hard to understand the depression within, in the belief that, in this way, I would somehow come to be happier. And yet the 'lightbulb' moment has come from coming to learn how to feel an inspiration within that naturally dispels the depression. How to come to know this? I have my own ways, even if I still struggle at times. But for some it may be exercise, for some art, music, talking therapy, walking in the woods, writing, being with family and beloveds. Whatever. More and more, I come to feel that it is not the way that we come to open to this inspiration that is most important - but rather that we do.

Does anyone on here have any experience of really severe clinical depression? Specifically, I am wondering if anyone has experienced better from private treatment than nhs? A member of my family has suffered for nearly 20 years and I am Now really worried but just wondered if anyone had been through positive experiences from priory etc or can recommend anywhere. Please pm if you don’t want to say in public, any advice greatfully received.

I’ve suffered from it for the best part of 14 years.

Antidepressants don’t work because my biggest issues are related to dopamine + norepinephrine dysfunctions from an executive function disorder (ADHD) and a distinct lack of understanding other people (autism).

I would do anything to be ‘normal’.

Last edited:
I volunteer with some gardening and mindfulness groups in Leeds. One of the groups linked meditation and poetry to going forward a walk. The other was mainly good exercise building garden paths and fences. The participants were a mixture of people with anxiety, depression and others getting back on their feet after being inside or just other local people with spare time on their hands. I only found out about these when I went to the Council’s Volunteer Centre. Their might be similar activities where other Bluemoomers live.

Although I went to volunteer, I’ve felt better for participating in the activities.

Last edited:

Antidepressants don’t won’t because my biggest issues are related to dopamine + norepinephrine dysfunctions from an executive function disorder (ADHD) and a distinct lack of understanding other people (autism).

Sorry to hear this, Dr Jacoby. I am also going through a rough patch due to enforced retirement, chronic ill health and lacking a sense of direction since I stopped working.

But I have noticed your posts before due to your user name, which I assume is a reference to the Twin Peaks character. And I have to say that I always enjoy reading them.

If you are a fellow Twin Peaks fan, maybe we should both take inspiration from David Lynch as he always seems to come across as being very cheerful and upbeat. Perhaps it’s all that Transcendental Meditation he does.

Antidepressants don’t won’t because my biggest issues are related to dopamine + norepinephrine dysfunctions from an executive function disorder (ADHD) and a distinct lack of understanding other people (autism).

There’s no such thing as normal. We’re all ourselves. Unique.

Embrace it.

Thanks for responses, it’s quite extreme depression and resistant to even large doses of anti depressants and just about every alternative treatment has been tried. We are quite desperate as alongside serious other physical medical condition another 20 years of this level of depression Doesn’t bare thinking about. I have doubts we’d get through another two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.