Des.

Although I was a bit critical of the first episode, the next two were very good indeed.

Am currently reading Masters’ book On Murder. Here is a brief extract:

‘A psychopath, we are told, has no concept of right and wrong, no understanding that his acts are bad. Nilsen is not psychopathic. He is lucid and cogent.’

This is from a piece that was originally published in 1985.

I disagree with Masters on this point, though only because our understanding of psychopaths has grown since then. We now know them to be affectless and highly manipulative. On an intellectual level they may know that they have done wrong. But the lack of an ability to empathise prevents them from fully grasping the implications of their acts. And they can fake what they consider to be the responses required to take people in.

Having said that, it has been a while since I checked in with the ongoing research on psychopaths. Plus, Masters knew the guy and is therefore on a better position to make judgements, and I would certainly recommend his writing to anyone who wishes to delve more deeply into this subject.

Although I was a bit critical of the first episode, the next two were very good indeed.

Am currently reading Masters’ book On Murder. Here is a brief extract:

‘A psychopath, we are told, has no concept of right and wrong, no understanding that his acts are bad. Nilsen is not psychopathic. He is lucid and cogent.’

This is from a piece that was originally published in 1985.

I disagree with Masters on this point, though only because our understanding of psychopaths has grown since then. We now know them to be affectless and highly manipulative. On an intellectual level they may know that they have done wrong. But the lack of an ability to empathise prevents them from fully grasping the implications of their acts. And they can fake what they consider to be the responses required to take people in.

Having said that, it has been a while since I checked in with the ongoing research on psychopaths. Plus, Masters knew the guy and is therefore on a better position to make judgements, and I would certainly recommend his writing to anyone who wishes to delve more deeply into this subject.
I think you're right to question him on it with the current understandings mate (of Cluster A,B,C's and Bipolar that is) and he would have a right, obviously, to clarify his thoughts now given how much it's moved on over even the last 10 years let alone 35, and I'm sure he'd pretty much come to a similar conclusion (imo).

Why were you critical of the first episode bud ? was it the just the content of the show etc itself or the actual research of the disorders and how they manifest and present ?

His initial sentence was life and he’d have been out in 2008 if the govt hadn’t introduced whole life tariffs and added him to the list.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.