Des.

Was disturbing how matter of fact Nilssen was about his crimes, and the lack of emotion. One seriously screwed up individual.

Its clear after that he just wanted to be known... complete nutter but the question is should have it been on the grounds of diminished responsibility because to me he wasn't normal.

I thought Tennant was excellent but found the drama rather flat and not especially compelling. These days we know a lot more about psychopaths and they are not unfathomably complex creatures. Though some have charisma, they are usually narcissistic and lack a conscience or any ability to empathise. Those who come into their orbit have no more significance to them than an inanimate object. The last time I checked, I think it was being suggested that psychopathy was inheritable. They are born that way, in other words. Not sure if the most recent research has confirmed this.

However, in spite of being a bit underwhelmed, I will be watching again tonight and the reason for that is Brian Masters. I read his study of Nilsen (‘Killing for Company’) about 30 years ago and it has lingered in my mind ever since then.

He is an exquisitely lucid prose stylist, even when writing about the macabre. And he is still alive too. Here is a link to something he wrote for The Sun very recently. Don’t be put off by the fact that this newspaper published the article. It’s worth setting that aside just to get a sense of how Masters approached the task ahead of him.

QUOTE="ZenHalfTimeCrock, post: 13002350, member: 84170"]
I thought Tennant was excellent but found the drama rather flat and not especially compelling. These days we know a lot more about psychopaths and they are not unfathomably complex creatures. Though some have charisma, they are usually narcissistic and lack a conscience or any ability to empathise. Those who come into their orbit have no more significance to them than an inanimate object. The last time I checked, I think it was being suggested that psychopathy was inheritable. They are born that way, in other words. Not sure if the most recent research has confirmed this.

However, in spite of being a bit underwhelmed, I will be watching again tonight and the reason for that is Brian Masters. I read his study of Nilsen (‘Killing for Company’) about 30 years ago and it has lingered in my mind ever since then.

He is an exquisitely lucid prose stylist, even when writing about the macabre. And he is still alive too. Here is a link to something he wrote for The Sun very recently. Don’t be put off by the fact that this newspaper published the article. It’s worth setting that aside just to get a sense of how Masters approached the task ahead of him.

[/QUOTE]

My mums best mate went to one day of the trial at the time and always said that on first impressions Nilsen looked liked the sort of bloke she'd have been quite pleased for her daughter to have brought home at the time as a prospective boyfriend!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.