Devil Next Door/Hunting ex-Nazis

Fame Monster

Anyone seen it about John Demjanjuk? SPOILER (if you didn't know about case) but how on earth did the Israelis let him off the hook? Even if he wasn't Ivan the Terrible (although that's very arguable), it seemed pretty damning that he worked in some of the concentration camps. Some of these fuckers got off too easy in my opinion.

Yeah, really interesting story. To be honest, during the original trial in Israel, it was far from obvious that he was Ivan the terrible and I think the appeal court got it right from a cold / hard legal viewpoint. It seemed most of the prosecution evidence was based on the horrors of Treblinka, and what Ivan the terrible did in particular, rather than trying to prove John Demjamjuk was Ivan the terrible. It basically came down to the three witnesses whose testimonies were a bit flawed (e.g. one said he killed him with a shovel in 1947).

Not sure why the UN couldn't run the trial, seemed the Israeli public (understandably) were baying for blood, regardless of the evidence - innocent or guilty.

Yeah, really interesting story. To be honest, during the original trial in Israel, it was far from obvious that he was Ivan the terrible and I think the appeal court got it right from a cold / hard legal viewpoint. It seemed most of the prosecution evidence was based on the horrors of Treblinka, and what Ivan the terrible did in particular, rather than trying to prove John Demjamjuk was Ivan the terrible. It basically came down to the three witnesses whose testimonies were a bit flawed (e.g. one said he killed him with a shovel in 1947).

Not sure why the UN couldn't run the trial, seemed the Israeli public (understandably) were baying for blood, regardless of the evidence - innocent or guilty.
Have to say i agree with this. They're seemed to be reasonable doubt with what was presented in the doc. Im not convinced he was Ivan the terrible but i am convinced he was a Nazi. Shame that he never really paid for his crimes. It's in a sense unbelievable that these things actually happened just 70/75 years ago. Heartbreaking some of the things shown and mentioned.

Anyone seen it about John Demjanjuk? SPOILER (if you didn't know about case) but how on earth did the Israelis let him off the hook? Even if he wasn't Ivan the Terrible (although that's very arguable), it seemed pretty damning that he worked in some of the concentration camps. Some of these fuckers got off too easy in my opinion.

Research ... Operation Paperclip.

You'll blow your mind

Have to say i agree with this. They're seemed to be reasonable doubt with what was presented in the doc. Im not convinced he was Ivan the terrible but i am convinced he was a Nazi. Shame that he never really paid for his crimes. It's in a sense unbelievable that these things actually happened just 70/75 years ago. Heartbreaking some of the things shown and mentioned.

Watching it i at first thought it wasn't him then swung towards it being him then in the end just wasn't sure. A couple of the witnesses seemed to be adamant it was where as one or 2 others didn't seem positive at all. The photo evidence and the expert didn't do a good job in that department for me and was picked apart quite easily.

As you say the fact it happened only 75 years ago and since then we've had numerous other genocidal regimes and instances makes you wonder where and when the next one may arise, maybe not on the same scale as the holocaust but still it's a scary thought.

Visiting Auchwitz next week, looking forward to it and also with some trepidation to be honest.

Some of the evidence against Demjanyuk was very dubious to be honest and I'm surprised the original trial in Israel found him guilty. Fortunately the Supreme court there overturned it but he was undergoing a trial in Germany when he died. I certainly don't want anyone who actively participated in massacres sleeping soundly in their beds but due process has to be followed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.