Devil Next Door/Hunting ex-Nazis

All they had to do was look in the politics sub forum.

Loads of us in there.

So there are no other SS membership cards like the one produced for Demjanyuk handed over from the Russians

No one has given eye witmess evidence as to what he did at Sobibor

And one Jewish Treblinka survivor said he saw the real Ivan the Terrible killed in the camp uprising

So there are no other SS membership cards like the one produced for Demjanyuk handed over from the Russians

No one has given eye witmess evidence as to what he did at Sobibor

And one Jewish Treblinka survivor said he saw the real Ivan the Terrible killed in the camp uprising

The ID card looked dodgy so I'm not surprised they didn't convict him on the basis of being Ivan the Terrible.

But what I don't get is that there seemed to be lots of evidence of him working in concentration camps after 1942 (reading up on it after the doc) at Sobibor and Flossenbur.

It shouldn't have taken till he was 91 to get him for that and I'm surprised the Israelis didn't charge and convict him for that irrespective of whether he was Ivan the Terrible.

Really interesting watch especially as I wasn’t as familiar with the backstory as I probably should have been.

I have strong doubts he was Ivan the terrible. the ID card looked suspect to say the least, and the survivors identifying him is a very sensitive thing to touch on. I didn’t like the way some suggested to find him not guilty suggests they’re wrong or their word isn’t enough. It’s more a case of being able to ID somebody 40 years later from an event, however vivid those memories may be isn’t something anybody can reliably do and With all the emotion involved it’s very easy to convince yourself of something one way or the other. I think by the letter of the law they got it right.

What isn’t debatable though is that he absolutely committed war atrocities and I found it odd that they didn’t seem to go after him on that a lot earlier, it seemed like it was a very achievable conviction to obtain and he could have been punished more during his earlier years if they had gone for those charges rather than on his deathbed.

Away from Demjanjuk, that lawyer comes across as the slimiest person in the world, blatantly only in it for the notoriety and money. They also seemed to be very lenient on acid attacker.

Overall a great watch

Visiting Auchwitz next week, looking forward to it and also with some trepidation to be honest.

No amount of reading up about it or watching programs on it can you prepare you for just how harrowing it is when you’re there even though you see nothing particularly gruesome. You get such a better sense of perspective being there in person particularly the scale of both the place itself and the number of victims. Everybody should go if they’re able to imo.

Try make sure you get a good local guide. our guide had very broken English which made him a little hard to hear and understand at times but he was incredibly knowledgeable, answered everybody’s questions in great detail and had many personal stories that had been passed on to him to share. you could tell it was a passion of his to educate people the best he could rather than a job. whereas I’ve heard there’s other guides that are less knowledgeable and whilst they speak clear English, they’re more keen to give you the bare minimum and get you in and out as quickly as possible which makes the place feel more like a tourist destination.

Really interesting watch especially as I wasn’t as familiar with the backstory as I probably should have been.

I have strong doubts he was Ivan the terrible. the ID card looked suspect to say the least, and the survivors identifying him is a very sensitive thing to touch on. I didn’t like the way some suggested to find him not guilty suggests they’re wrong or their word isn’t enough. It’s more a case of being able to ID somebody 40 years later from an event, however vivid those memories may be isn’t something anybody can reliably do and With all the emotion involved it’s very easy to convince yourself of something one way or the other. I think by the letter of the law they got it right.

What isn’t debatable though is that he absolutely committed war atrocities and I found it odd that they didn’t seem to go after him on that a lot earlier, it seemed like it was a very achievable conviction to obtain and he could have been punished more during his earlier years if they had gone for those charges rather than on his deathbed.

Away from Demjanjuk, that lawyer comes across as the slimiest person in the world, blatantly only in it for the notoriety and money. They also seemed to be very lenient on acid attacker.

Overall a great watch

No amount of reading up about it or watching programs on it can you prepare you for just how harrowing it is when you’re there even though you see nothing particularly gruesome. You get such a better sense of perspective being there in person particularly the scale of both the place itself and the number of victims. Everybody should go if they’re able to imo.

Try make sure you get a good local guide. our guide had very broken English which made him a little hard to hear and understand at times but he was incredibly knowledgeable, answered everybody’s questions in great detail and had many personal stories that had been passed on to him to share. you could tell it was a passion of his to educate people the best he could rather than a job. whereas I’ve heard there’s other guides that are less knowledgeable and whilst they speak clear English, they’re more keen to give you the bare minimum and get you in and out as quickly as possible which makes the place feel more like a tourist destination.

I'd just add to this, a visit to Birkenau is well worth a trip as well, sometimes it is included as a 'package' of the two but is often missed out which is a crying shame. The size of that place was the most harrowing thing about it to be honest, for as far as you can see the chimney stacks remain from the barrack style accomodation.

We had a middle aged Jewish woman as a tour guide and she was absolutely fantastic, the thing I didn't like was the vast amounts of Chinese tourists climbing on everything they could with stupid grins to take the perfect selfie!

Out of all the posts claiming people are nazis on Bluemoon I reckon 99% are by you.

Its called tongue in cheek.

You wouldn't understand that as you are so far up your own arse you cant remember the last time you saw daylight.

You will reply to this i know that and i will just give it the usual like ;-)

Its called tongue in cheek.

You wouldn't understand that as you are so far up your own arse you cant remember the last time you saw daylight.

You will reply to this i know that and i will just give it the usual like ;-)

Ah the old “I know you’ll reply to this message you can’t help it” line.

Tried and tested by the same group time and again.

I’m stuck up my own arse but you’re on a random thread, not in the sub forum, complaining about being called a Nazi.

And anyway, you’ve made this joke 3000 times now, no one finds it funny old man.

Ah the old “I know you’ll reply to this message you can’t help it” line.

Tried and tested by the same group time and again.

I’m stuck up my own arse but you’re on a random thread, not in the sub forum, complaining about being called a Nazi.

And anyway, you’ve made this joke 3000 times now, no one finds it funny old man.
You need to grow up, seriously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.