Did Fulham Profit from the Absence of De Jong? [Article]

Jumanji

Did Fulham profit from the absence of de Jong?

images.jpeg

Heading into Sunday’s game, for Fulham to have an opportunity of taking something from it I thought that their best option was to exploit the area between City’s midfield and back line – still shorn of the authority of Nigel de Jong and featuring Gareth Barry and Yaya Toure, two players who had played the lions share of the minutes so far in 2011/12.

Thanks to a second half revival Fulham did indeed take something from the game and watching the action it certainly appeared as though when Fulham sensed their opportunity – even at 2-0 down – they utilised the likes of Bobby Zamora, Danny Murphy and Clint Dempsey effectively, using this space and creating opportunities that led to the comeback and saw them take a point to move off the bottom of the table.

But was this the case? Roberto Mancini alluded to his midfield being tired and that there is little option aside from Barry and Toure at present, with de Jong’s absence being felt. The numbers, however, do not wholly reflect this. First up, some overall comparisons between the two sides:

282qmwk.png

Aside from interceptions (with Fulham breaking up more than three times as much possession as City managed) it is clear that City held the upper hand in all categories; up on their season passing average (86%) whilst Fulham’s was identical to their overall season figure. City too dominated in terms of possessions; yet this did not stop Fulham from letting fly with 14 shots, with the majority coming from outside of the box – perhaps coming from the sort of areas de Jong generally patrols with such applomb?

To take this further, I then looked at the attacking zone stats: both in the opposition half and the attacking third:

21keb04.png

Interestingly, and as was the case with their overall numbers, Fulham’s passing stats both in the final third and attacking half were down on the season: final third passing % being 66% to date and attacking half passing % being 68% so far, and City far outweighed the hosts in terms of the number of passes both made and completed, all of which suggests that rather than Fulham exploiting any holes or weaknesses there was little difference in their approach compared to the season as a whole.

This is also backed out in this Guardian Chalkboard:
30jrbkz.jpg

when you compare where passes were made, broken down below both in terms of the first half and second half to attempt to gage if Fulham did dominate more in the second half. What is more interesting is a breakdown of the shots before and after the break, which shows that whilst in terms of passing there was very little difference between the two halves there was a marked change in terms of the shots Fulham had – the second half being more productive, which ultimately paid off for them as illustrated in this Guardian Chalkboard:
2hi2wsm.jpg

that shows Fulham’s shot comparison.

Rather than pointing to a de Jong sized hole in City’s make-up on Sunday the numbers do point to the fact that in terms of the balance of the game there was no decipherable game plan executed by Fulham but simply a case of them increasing their fairly woeful shot conversion (around the 5% mark heading into the game) – helped by a generous deflection on the equalising goal.

Would de Jong’s presence have prevented this? Whilst his ability to break up play is renowned there is no evidence that shows Fulham profited in this regard and indeed at 2-1, Mancini introduced Pablo Zabaleta in an attempt to shore up this area; no matter though as Fulham clawed their way back into the game not from an increased passing game to exploit gaps in City’s back line but likely profiting through getting off a greater number of shots on goal than they have during the season so far.

What a bunch of wrongly interpretated statistical crap.. who would waste their time doing that?

It means nothing, as the fact is.. we miss DeJong in certain games, namely the last 2.
We only won one of the 7 games he missed last season..

I, along with most match going fans, can see this on the day.. without referring to meaningless, new fangled statistical nonsense..

prairiemoon said:
great article. I'd like to read more like this....
Meh, I thought it was an ok read. eplindex.com, mate.

-- Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 pm --

blumoonrisen said:
What a bunch of wrongly interpretated statistical crap.. who would waste their time doing that?

It means nothing, as the fact is.. we miss DeJong in certain games, namely the last 2.

I, along with most match going fans, can see this on the day.. without referring to meaningless, new fangled statistical nonsense..

I agree with you that yes, we needed De Jong, but am I not allowed to share an article I found interesting?

And 'match going fans'? Lmao, you must see something I don't because after that match, I was one of the first people to say we needed De Jong...from behind my television.

But you raise an interesting point regarding 'new fangled statistical nonsense'. Please elaborate by actually being specific and maybe I can understand where you're coming from a little bit better. After all you are 'match going' so please I await to be educated, your highness.

Jumanji said:
prairiemoon said:
great article. I'd like to read more like this....
Meh, I thought it was an ok read. eplindex.com, mate.

-- Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 pm --

blumoonrisen said:

I agree with you that yes, we needed De Jong, but am I not allowed to share an article I found interesting?

And 'match going fans'? Lmao, you must see something I don't because after that match, I was one of the first people to say we needed De Jong...from behind my television.

But you raise an interesting point regarding 'new fangled statistical nonsense'. Please elaborate by actually being specific and maybe I can understand where you're coming from a little bit better. After all you are 'match going' so please I await to be educated, your highness.

No need to take a defensive stance... I'm not criticising you for posting it, I'm merely mocking the conclusion arrived to by the person that interpreted that information.

The term 'New fangled' is like a sort of self depreciating humour..

The problem was that Yaya Toure was getting caught out of position and Gareth Barry cannot play defense for TWO players (he is usually doing it for 1 1/2 anyway!).

One of the things we LACK is the quick transition from offense to defense when we lose the ball AFTER we have had a prolonged period of attacking. It was the same against Napoli on Weds, when we got caught playing "attack, attack, attack," with even barry and Toure getting in on the action.

While we LOVE having SIX attackers at almost all times, it comes home to roost when other teams break on us.....and we have looked the MOST fragile at those times. It is always going to be an issue if we are going to play the way we have begun, but we HAVE TO have (at least SOME of) the attackers get behind the ball AS SOON AS we lose it. Fatigue and 3 games in 8 days MAY have come home to roost at Fulham after an hour, because they looked fresher, faster, snappier and we ALLOWED them back into the game.

All in all, disappointing end to a game we absolutely dominated, but we have to decide HOW we want to set up, because with the current set up, De Jong does not necessarily fit the bill!

BTW, top marks and tip of the hat to the lads at the back of P6 who kept the spirits up in the second half with some excellent rhythmic chanting (and back wall banging!). Nice one fellas!

I think it's strange because it's happening to United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool as well.

No team's able to defend at the moment. Games fly open against the wills of managers.

But I think it's temporary. Something's in the process.

We'll see a new mode of defense emerging soon.

Hello Hello,
statistics dont win games, in my last post I wrote that City are not yet title contenders, especially after the wigan match which I am trying to get over as far as good football is concerned, but this weekend against Fulham certainly supports my comments, somebody had written a reply comment indicating emphatically that my comments on the Wigan match were idiotic for a first time poster in the forum, well I would just like to say to that person ( once he has recovered from a drunen stupour) that my opinion appears to be correct after the 2 - 2 draw with Fulham. perhaps he should consider watching the match rather than seeing a ball go in the back of the net with a beer in his hand, I pay for entertainment.
in reponse to goal difference, it may decide who will become the title holders but winnning games is far more certain.

ardent City supporter

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.