Did you miss 93.20 ? Where were you when we weren’t S***

I was there.

I was a nipper in ‘99 with my dad and grandad. We left the ground - ran back in at 2-2.

QPR, also with my dad and grandad. They hadn’t learned their lesson - said let’s go at around 88’. I said no, Gillingham. And the rest…

Barely even remember the goal. Don’t think I even celebrated it, was on my knees and buried into my grandad’s coat just bawling like a child. Three generations of blues and, other than my grandad for the late 60s / early 70s period, none of us had seen any measure of major success. Just felt like a huge emotional weight lifted.

Still tear up when I watch the highlights - grandad left us a few years ago now so it brings back more than just the game.

Still never managed to find us in any of the footage (old 126 before it became hospitality). Maybe need to ask the club if they have any archive footage. Someone let me know if you’ve any ideas.

Strange to think how much good will their was for us at this time, nobody but rags fans wanted them to win. Scousers really up for us ironically. Watched at my mates who's a Blackpol fanatic, he was delighted when we got the winner,till he realised I was hyperventilating and worried he'd have to tell my missus I'd dropped dead. When I recovered I felt the greatest happiness of my life, the following day did what has now become a tradition after a trophy win, bought every paper and read them over a long boozy breakfast at Spoons.

Sunday night was my fourth night shift on the trot. I woke up early to watch the game, my brother picked me up and we went to my parents house, they were away on holiday but were the only ones with sky. Thought we'd messed it up and was sat there all despondent wondering how I would make it through my shift when it all went crazy. When the match and celebrations had finished I just got ready for work and couldn't even have a drink. Was on a high all night but shattered in the morning. Bought all the papers on the way home and still have them to this day!

Long story short, I wasn’t a STH and couldn’t get a ticket for love nor money. Daughter was a runner & competing at a regional championship that day, she was getting quite good so a few of the family (that didn’t go to the game) came along & we’d planned a pub to watch the game. She smashed the race so off to the pub we went (all 6 of us) chock full of rags! I mean hundreds.
We gave as good as we got for 3 hrs, and relented around the 87th min to chants of cheerio, you’ve effed it up & all the nursery rhymes. Earlier in the day we’d chatted to a City supporting family at the athletics, she was doing the game on the old transistor radio & had a big City flag outside her tent. Anyway we trudged back so she could do a warm up for the final & when we arrived I made a bee line for the City tent, only she was running round the grass embankment with her radio in one hand screaming! We’d done it :) So I’d missed our greatest modern moment, not only could I not get to the game, but missed the last two goals, maybe it’s why I still get goose bumps every time I watch it, I reckon there’s a fair few out there that can top that though
Nice little thread this, for those of us that weren't able to go. If I remember rightly the club did a special package whereby you could get tickets for the last three games. The QPR game was the only one I couldn't change my shifts for and so I missed it.

I was at the game but just not there after QPR when 2:1 up . All I can remember of the actual match was watching the clock count down thinking how have we managed to "fuck this up" !
I thought something similar from the second QPR goal, but I kept thinking of '99 and that lightning would strike twice.

And where was I when we were shit? To which particular shitty period do you refer? I lapped them all up from losing to NUFC in '55!

I had to work in London in the morning so watched it on my own in a bar near Liverpool Street station. I went a bit crazy at the end - the only other person celebrating was a dipper fan.
Felt a bit gutted that I had nobody to celebrate with but quite a few neutrals did come up to me later in the evening and say well done.

Was in a pub full of Cardiff & Liverpool fans, they were 100% behind us, how times have changed.
I was angry as fuck for most of the 2nd half & didn't even go mental at the end, i was emotionally drained.
Shortly after i just went and sat on a quiet street bench & thought back to all the hard times and the games i went to with my Mum or Dad when i was a kid.
Uppermost in my mind weirdly was the time i last cried at the 81 cup final & i remember thinking that even if we didn't win anything else ever again, i'd now die happy

I can't lie, I was young at the time & tried to sell my ticket for the Kompany Derby & somebody grassed me upto the club & I got banned for the Derby & the QPR game haha, but looking back I wouldn't change watching that game with my family & my little girl.

It also gave me the chance to run down my street when Sergio scored & wind all the local reds up.

In CB Level 1
Going through all the emotions that only City can provide you with.
Commenced 1978 at MR
Kippax of course

It was my little ‘uns birthday on the day of the game and when the tickets went on sale we were 8 points behind. I said to him rather persuasively shall we not bother going as it would be a nothing game, and he agreed. Went to nearly every home game that season apart from that game and the United game before hand. Always been good at the big decisions in life haha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.