Didn't try hard enough today

Carl_Man_City

We need to match the effort of the opposing team in these sort of matches. Newcastle and today we should have won comfortable yet we had a lucky win against Newcastle and got beat today. Its not enough just to play our best aginst the likes of Chelsea it must be done every game. To be fair to Mancini at least he acknowleged where we went wrong in his interview. If we'd match the effort of all our opponents we'd win the league.

The question for me is....can we get the required effort and passion to win the league when some players are only here for the money?

For me we desperatly need a partner for Kompany as Toure got bullied today by Doyle. Also we need a top quality centre mid who can boss a game at the moment our midfields just too slow.

Today I learnt a lot about the team...whos good enough and who isn't, also who serves our team well and who doesnt.

I think it's going to be tough to train determination into a squad like this. Some players have it, some players don't. That's the way it is. Smaller teams such as Wolves or Blackpool can sometimes make up for a lack of flamboyant skill with sheer tenacity and will, which can win the day. Just look at the Hull match from last season. They didn't give a damn and just went for it, knowing that they had essentially nothing to lose, judging by the odds.

I had hoped for a win so that we could bounce back but it didn't happen. That's Premier League for you (La Liga take note) and the only thing Mancini can do now is to analyse the result and let the players know what's at stake. He needs to make them strong. We already have some strong players who can take us to the very top, like Tevez, Kompany, De Jong, Silva, but they are not enough. Mancini need to make champions out of the squad, if he wants to keep his job. I hope he succeeds because I really think he can become a City legend.

we missed leaders yesterday, without Tevez and NDJ there was not enough players willing to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take control, the amount of times we had the ball and nobody shown a willingness to offer themselves to take it was worrying

i think if we had nige and carlos fit and started with aj we would of beat wolves

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda the lament of losers. Wolves highest paid player is on £30000 a week. Stephen Hunt. He would not have got on our bench yesterday. Football is a sport and should never ever become predictable but yesterday a team giving 100% beat a team that did not. My loyalty is to City, not the players, not the manager but the club. I have never booed a City player or shouted for a manager to be sacked but yesterday's performance was an insult to all City fans. The least I expect from a player is 100% effort. If ANY player does not want to give 100% then do one and get out of my club I for one could not give a crap what their name is or how important they think they are.

I was talking to three Wolves fans in the car park after the game and they couldn't believe that they had beaten us. Their immediate reaction was that their players wanted the win more than ours and I couldn't disagree with them. The only two players on the pitch who really wanted to win, in my humble opinion, were Kompany and Silva.

What really bugs me about the team, not just yesterday but every match, is how often we play back instead of forward. It is getting beyond a joke now. Also, how often were they caught out, once Adam Johnson came on, trying to get the ball over to him when on the opposite side there were players totally and utterly free. Wolves players concentrated on Johnson leaving Zabaletta and other players free. A long ball over to the left side and we would have been home and laughing. If I can see it why can't they???? As always just my opinion. Nowt we can do about it now so onwards and upwards City.

Eccles Blue said:
I was talking to three Wolves fans in the car park after the game and they couldn't believe that they had beaten us. Their immediate reaction was that their players wanted the win more than ours and I couldn't disagree with them. The only two players on the pitch who really wanted to win, in my humble opinion, were Kompany and Silva.

What really bugs me about the team, not just yesterday but every match, is how often we play back instead of forward. It is getting beyond a joke now. Also, how often were they caught out, once Adam Johnson came on, trying to get the ball over to him when on the opposite side there were players totally and utterly free. Wolves players concentrated on Johnson leaving Zabaletta and other players free. A long ball over to the left side and we would have been home and laughing. If I can see it why can't they???? As always just my opinion. Nowt we can do about it now so onwards and upwards City.

I'd add Milner to your list as well, I said to my brother as we were leaving the match that they were the only 3 players that could be happy with the effort they'd put in today.

At one point Milner passed the ball to Ade who gave it away, Milner then sprinted past the stationary Ade to close down the defender.

Similarly Silva was challenging for headers with far more desire than Ade or Ballotelli, at one point he went up against 3 Wolves players for one header.

It doesn't matter if you've played for Barcelona or Inter Milan, if you've won Serie A, La Liga or the Champions League, if you can't put in as much effort as Kevin Doyle you don't deserve to be on the same pitch.

We're always going to give the impression of laziness when we play that slow patient build up. We really need to be able to step up the pace of the game when we are losing. There was a paasge of play around the 82nd minute when we were just strolling about making short passes. You could have been forgiven for thinking we were two or three up.

The other problem yesterday was that we were playing 4-3-3 with a front three that all like to stay well up the pitch. 4-3-3 usually only works away from home against very poor teams or when it quickly becomes 4-5-1 when we lose the ball. Thats not going to happen when the front three are Silva, Balotelli & Adebayor. Silva works hard, but mainly in the opposition half.

As a Wolves fan I expected a thrashing yesterday and I thought my worst fears would come true in the first fifteen minutes. Apart from cost, salary and individual skills the major difference between my team and yours was that we had a strong team spirit but judging by your performance yesterday you have none, just a group of supremely talented individuals but not a team with spirit - and you can't buy that!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.