Diego Maradona

Not exactly a surprise given his lifestyle and health over the years, more impressive that doctors somehow kept him going this long. Still, a true legend of the game, RIP.

For my money though, given the era he played in and how hard it was for a player like him, he's the best of all time. Maybe Messi edges him but it's so much easier now without literal thugs trying to break your legs. Just a shame that he never had the temperament to reign it in a bit. Then again, I'm sure he'll say he enjoyed every minute of it and regrets nothing.

Seems like it's not the world press yet but to lift a couple of Argentine reddit comments -

Clarins, the source I posted in the first comment is the biggest newspaper in Argentina.

when there's this much smoke, it usually means it's true.

Sad news, the most gifted player the game has ever seen.

For my money though, given the era he played in and how hard it was for a player like him, he's the best of all time. Maybe Messi edges him but it's so much easier now without literal thugs trying to break your legs. Just a shame that he never had the temperament to reign it in a bit. Then again, I'm sure he'll say he enjoyed every minute of it and regrets nothing.

interesting comparison of era's, i would sway that it's harder for footballers nowadays as they are up against sportsman that are in full health, beyond fit and train to the maximum, Messi is up against world-class players from all over the world, back in the 70's you had pro footballers smoking and going down the pub after the match! and Maradona would have played against some truly awful defences.

Not to say, he wasn't one of the greatest ever, he truly was

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.