Diego Maradona

The home and office of Maradona's doctor is being searched in connection with the star's death

Fantastic player with legendary tales at every turn. Without doubt he has influenced every player ever to appear in a City shirt from his nation. I wonder how much he added to the shape of character in Sergio.

Diego+Maradona+Manchester+City+v+Manchester+xScZg2nL7K3l.jpg

manchester-city-burnley-maradona-1040x572.jpg

I thought the 2h 30 'film's about Maradona was pretty ordinary and had plenty of selective editing with very little context. A better doc on itv with England players from 86 reliving the tournament. Some rather bitter even 35+ years on. The most surprising thing I watched was when Lineker met Maradona which was interesting to hear his own perspective of his career.

Watching the itv one was a window to a different world. Saint n Greavsie with Bobby Davro and Jim Davidson. Christ! I thought I recognised a blond player in that England squad. None other than Gary Bailey!!!!! How on earth did he blag that?!

One image I do recall from the 80s was in a Serie A game where he's fouled drops to his knees gets up and carries on with his run, all in the space of a few seconds. Suspect a few players nowadays could learn from that, rather than carrying on like they've been shot.
I’ve just watched the one about his rise and fall with Napoli.

He looked lost and was taken advantage of by the mafia who then destroyed him after he won the semi final of the WC there.

For those who have seen, what was the realistic chance of England in 1986 WC had they beaten Argentina?
We’d have had a decent chance. I look back at that World Cup and for me it was wide open. England had an awful start, losing to a mediocre Portugal team and then drawing with Morocco, but we improved after that. Swept a decent Poland team aside in a shit or bust game to qualify and beat Paraguay in the first knockout stage 3-0 who were considered dark horses and IIRC had the current South American footballer of the year playing for them.
The team who impressed the most in the group stages were Denmark. They battered Uruguay 6-1 and were being talked up as a team who could go all the way. They were hot favourites to beat Spain in their knockout game but after taking the lead they capitulated to a 5-1 defeat. I remember France being tipped to do well too.
I don’t remember a great deal about the England v Argentina game apart from the goals but we kept them relatively quiet until Maradona’s double intervention. We still nearly forced extra time when it looked for all the world like Lineker had gotten on the end of a John Barnes cross, only for a defender to clear.
For me, there were no truly outstanding teams in that World Cup and that includes Argentina, but they had the one truly outstanding player and that turned out to be the difference.

Best player i have ever seen. Followed by the likes of messi, pele, cruyff, Zidane, Brazilian ronaldo, di Stefano, zico and Platini. Cristiano Ronaldo is a top player but just a goalscorer and athlete. He isn't close to having the natural ability of the above players, nowhere near in fact. Even at his best he had nowhere close to their all round game and was more reliant on his team mates creating chances for him than any of the above. The hype and fame has long outgrown the talent in this case.

But back on topic, maradona is the best ever and definitely better than messi for me. Sorry for lack of punctuation, im on my tablet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.