Diesel engines

Johnny Mars Bar

Team supported
St. Mark’s
Following on from reading the PCP thread I’ve decided to get rid of the car I bought only 6 months ago and walk away from the deal with possibly even a small profit. I want something faster.

Looking at a BMW 120D.

I’ve had a couple of BMWs before but never had a diesel. The ones I’m looking at are cheaper to tax and on paper seem as fast as the petrol equivalents, and there’s also a lot more of them than petrol models.

Any major ‘catches’ I need to be aware of, having never had a diesel before?

Last edited:
Depends on the year youre looking at,the 120D engine can have timing chain issues - ensure it has had regular oil changes and keep them up,don't adhere to the BMW advice of one every 20000 miles or whatever.....get it done every 6-8k to maintain health.

I love a torquey diesel engine,highly remappable too.

Depends on the year youre looking at,the 120D engine can have timing chain issues - ensure it has had regular oil changes and keep them up,don't adhere to the BMW advice of one every 20000 miles or whatever.....get it done every 6-8k to maintain health.

I love a torquey diesel engine,highly remappable too.

Facelift F20 I’m looking at so will be 2015+.

I’m not touching anything without full service history, ideally full main dealer history.

I’ve got about £12k to play with, seems to be quite a few nice looking ones around that price range.

Facelift F20 I’m looking at so will be 2015+.

I’m not touching anything without full service history, ideally full main dealer history.

I’ve got about £12k to play with, seems to be quite a few nice looking ones around that price range.

Full service history is a must but as FI mentioned you want beyond that if possible. Look for a car that someone has really cherished. Someone who has added lots of extras is a give away. It’s better to pay more for an absolute mint car.

Following on from reading the PCP thread I’ve decided to get rid of the car I bought only 6 months ago and walk away from the deal with possibly even a small profit. I want something faster.

Looking at a BMW 120D.

I’ve had a couple of BMWs before but never had a diesel. The ones I’m looking at are cheaper to tax and on paper seem as fast as the petrol equivalents, and there’s also a lot more of them than petrol models.

Any major ‘catches’ I need to be aware of, having never had a diesel before?
You need to do loads of miles a week, we don't do over 6k a year and are choking our engine, always putting additives in to clean out the shit or the car starts smoking and stinking from the exhaust.

I only put in the top diesel as well.

Plus you should be moving away from diesel engines or Greta will get you :)

You need to do loads of miles a week, we don't do over 6k a year and are choking our engine, always putting additives in to clean out the shit or the car starts smoking and stinking from the exhaust.

I only put in the top diesel as well.

Plus you should be moving away from diesels or Greta will get you :)

That’s interesting.

I don’t do a ton of miles, maybe 8k a year.

Does this apply to all diesels or do you just have a dodgy car?

I’ll be honest…as long as Russia, China and the USA are pumping shite into the air on an industrial scale I’m not worrying about how green my car is so the eco thing just isn’t something I’m arsed about at all, apart from how much it impacts the car tax.

That’s interesting.

I don’t do a ton of miles, maybe 8k a year.

Does this apply to all diesels or do you just have a dodgy car?

I’ll be honest…as long as Russia, China and the USA are pumping shite into the air on an industrial scale I’m not worrying about how green my car is so the eco thing just isn’t something I’m arsed about at all, apart from how much it impacts the car tax.
Don't know really, I am useless with mechanical stuff, that is what it is like in my car.

We bought it high mileage knowing we wouldn't be smashing it but it started smoking and smelling, garage said to take it out on a long drive to get the engine hot and then it would burn off the soot that won't burn off by going to work and back everyday, the additive makes the soot burn off at a lower temp I believe?

Well that is also true about those countries tbh but hey ho lol

Don't know really, I am useless with mechanical stuff, that is what it is like in my car.

We bought it high mileage knowing we wouldn't be smashing it but it started smoking and smelling, garage said to take it out on a long drive to get the engine hot and then it would burn off the soot that won't burn off by going to work and back everyday, the additive makes the soot burn off at a lower temp I believe?

Give it a good thrashing every now and then on a long drive. I once saw a cloud of smoke from my exhaust as the car appeared to fart. It then ran a lot better!
Not to be confused with this type of thrashing.

Diesels need long motorway drives to do the regen, if you have a newish diesel and are just doing short urban journeys it can't do it's regen in time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.