Dinner disasters

allblackcitizen

Tried doing Toad in the Hole last night for me and the kids and the batter curdled, didn't rise and went all oily and it looked like someone had emptied the contents of several stomachs all over the sausages. No-one fancied even trying it so it went straight in the bin. It was quite late and no time to do anything else, so we had to make do with half a corn cob and a third of a slice if Mint Vienetta each, 'cos some fucker had eaten it without even realising (me). I wasn't popular and the shit carried on this morning.

I still don't know what went wrong. I've cooked it before with no mishaps.

Anyone else had any food fuck-ups?

An ex of mine once said she could cook when we first met. Told me she would cook the Sunday roast one weekend. Ok, no probs, lovely lady who I trusted implicitly, so didn't doubt her culinary kitchen skills. Or so I thought.

"Ok it's ready hun" ....... ""Hmmm, smells great love"....... "Would you mind plating it up please?" ..... Sure, no probs darling"....."How long have you had the cauliflower on for?" ...An hour n' half,,, why you ask"?
"It's just that I like veg cooked slightly al dente"......... "What does that mean?......... "It basically means that it has not been cooked in number one sellafield nuclear reactor". : /......"I just wanted to make sure it was cooked, that's all".

Fuckin' cooked alright! .. More mush than a batch of Cow & Gate pureed cauli starter food!

Well I am a big baby i suppose. And I have been known to soil my Orville-esque nappy now n' again; )

Tried doing Toad in the Hole last night for me and the kids and the batter curdled, didn't rise and went all oily and it looked like someone had emptied the contents of several stomachs all over the sausages. No-one fancied even trying it so it went straight in the bin. It was quite late and no time to do anything else, so we had to make do with half a corn cob and a third of a slice if Mint Vienetta each, 'cos some fucker had eaten it without even realising (me). I wasn't popular and the shit carried on this morning.

Did you heat the oil before adding the batter?

Did you use plain flour , was in a rush the other week made Yorkshire puds with self raising flour DOH!

Last edited:

Was it not one of them frozen ones?

Title should be changed to "tea disasters", unless the O.P's watch was wrong.

At least I didn't say supper disasters!

But anyway it can include any meal disaster - breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea, high tea, tea, dinner, supper, post-prandial snack, even drinking turps instead of R Whites in the middle of the night.

As to the toad in the hole - no i used plain flour and put the batter mix in the hot oil used to fry the sausages, as I have done several times previously with no adverse consequences.

I'm on safer ground with spag and meatballs tonight

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.