Diplomatic relations between Britain and the UAE

They mean the justice system isn't the same as England's (which is pretty shit but that's beside the point).

The British Press like to impose their standards on other countries.
Oh come off it. There are plenty of countries where the process is different but it's still a fair trial. But there are far more countries where trials are just a sham and your guilt has already been decided before you go into the room.

Have you ever met a British person who lives in the UAE? Almost none of them speak Arabic, and certainly not to a level where they can understand legal documents. What 'spent part of his childhood there' almost always means is lived in an expat complex with other foreigners and went to an international school.
Yes my brother has lived in Abu Dhabi and Dubai for 24 years.
Doesn't speak a word of Arabic.... Well maybe he can order a beer....

Oh come off it. There are plenty of countries where the process is different but it's still a fair trial. But there are far more countries where trials are just a sham and your guilt has already been decided before you go into the room.
Doesn't the UAE have a reputation for locking people up for, say, minor offences like being drunk? So spying, they're throwing away the key. One of the more tolerant Arab countries too?

McGuire linking City with The UAE oppressive regime and sports washing on GMTV this morning. Tbh, it doesnt look good for the fella locked up, not a good judicial system where you don't have a defence lawyer.

Last edited:
Like a lot of people on here, I tell myself that the world is a pretty messed up place and i justify the fact that i still love watching city on the basis that just by going about my daily business I buy into and support corrupt business practices and exploitation every single day. As does everyone else in this country. That's my defence if anyone else brings it up too.

I do however draw the line at pretending our owners are awesome people, hero worshipping them and singing sheikh mansour's name. It's shameful that anyone would put concern about the club's image ahead of this guy's welfare. People might well ask the question "well what if he was a spy" but I can guarantee that hardly anyone on here would be asking that question if our owners owned United and/or it turned out the guy in prison was a city season ticket holder.

Some fans want to believe he's done something wrong or somehow deserves this disgusting treatment. Personally, when Abu Dhabi are long gone I don't think their presence will have tainted the club forever. People understand that owners come and go. What could taint the club forever is how we as fans react to stuff like this. Mindlessly defending the owners and human rights abusers purely cos they own our football team is not a good look.

City ARE part of a sportwashing policy whether you like it or not so we are going to be brought into the conversation when stuff like this happens. Our foreign secretary directly mentioned the crown prince in his criticism of the imprisonment. The crown prince is the guy bankrolling this operation and it's his people, not Mansour's running the club. Fans might want to pretend the football is separate but other people aren't going to do that.

I also think fans of other teams also deserve criticism. The ones whose sudden interest in human rights begins and ends with matters surrounding city. Their hypocrisy and lack of consistency is a joke.

I like to think that our owners might be progressives and things are slowly improving in UAE. I also appreciate it's a very complex situation in that part of the world. Maybe sportwashing does at least shine a light on these kind of regimes and make them do better. It's also worth mentioning that anyone I know who has had to deal with or work with the club since the takeover (including a mate who is United supporting journalist) will tell you what a great set up we have and how well looked after they've been. We can't be complicit as fans though in letting them use the club to detract from what's going on at home. When this kind of thing comes up we shouldn't defend them just because we're worried about the club.

Last edited:
Like a lot of people on here, I tell myself that the world is a pretty messed up place and i justify the fact that i still love watching city on the basis that just by going about my daily business I buy into and support corrupt business practices and exploitation every single day. As does everyone else in this country. That's my defence if anyone else brings it up too.

I do however draw the line at pretending our owners are awesome people, hero worshipping them and singing sheikh mansour's name. It's shameful that anyone would put concern about the club's image ahead of this guy's welfare. People might well ask the question "well what if he was a spy" but I can guarantee that hardly anyone on here would be asking that question if our owners owned United and/or it turned out the guy in prison was a city season ticket holder.

Some fans want to believe he's done something wrong or somehow deserves this disgusting treatment. Personally, when Abu Dhabi are long gone I don't think their presence will have tainted the club forever. People understand that owners come and go. What could taint the club forever is how we as fans react to stuff like this. Mindlessly defending the owners and human rights abusers purely cos they own our football team is not a good look.

City ARE part of a sportwashing policy whether you like it or not so we are going to be brought into the conversation when stuff like this happens. Our foreign secretary directly mentioned the crown prince in his criticism of the imprisonment. The crown prince is the guy bankrolling this operation and it's his people, not Mansour's running the club. Fans might want to pretend the football is separate but other people aren't going to do that.

I also think fans of other teams also deserve criticism. The ones whose sudden interest in human rights begins and ends with matters surrounding city. Their hypocrisy and lack of consistency is a joke.

I like to think that our owners might be progressives and things are slowly improving in UAE. I also appreciate it's a very complex situation in that part of the world. Maybe sportwashing does at least shine a light on these kind of regimes and make them do better. It's also worth mentioning that anyone I know who has had to deal with or work with the club since the takeover (including a mate who is United supporting journalist) will tell you what a great set up we have and how well looked after we've been. We can't be complicit as fans though in letting them use the club to detract from what's going on at home. When this kind of thing comes up we shouldn't defend them just because we're worried about the club.
Are you saying this spy is a City seasoncard holder? That's horrifying, the Sheikh must be told!

I like to think that our owners might be progressives and things are slowly improving in UAE. I also appreciate it's a very complex situation in that part of the world. Maybe sportwashing does at least shine a light on these kind of regimes and make them do better. It's also worth mentioning that anyone I know who has had to deal with or work with the club since the takeover (including a mate who is United supporting journalist) will tell you what a great set up we have and how well looked after we've been. We can't be complicit as fans though in letting them use the club to detract from what's going on at home. When this kind of thing comes up we shouldn't defend them just because we're worried about the club.

Badly written agitprop.

This kind of bull was unacceptable when it was used to justify the white man's burden, it's no more acceptable pushing liberal democracy.

Last edited:

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/west-ham-away.337229/page-4#post-11342284
Will you be leading a protest if you get one?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.