Discuss Pellegrini...(cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didsbury Dave said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
GazM said:
+1. Spot on - you have to seize the moment. Next season will be even tougher. We have blown it this season & last as well.
It was a very well balanced, however I don't buy into the received wisdom that next season will necessarily be harder per se. This is something that always gets said when people are disappointed about the outcome of a particular campaign. Last season, and the 2010/11 season this board was full of people pointing to what an opportunity we'd missed and how we wouldn't get such an easy ride the following season. I'm not saying that every season is equally as easy as each other, but these things are never linear. People expect Arsenal to improve next term, but they've been saying that for the last half-decade.

This group of players should peak next season. With better luck with injuries we should be much more formidable. That should inform the narrative as much as any other clubs' vicissitudes of fortune. I'm sure, for example, it will be on the minds of Chelsea fans.

Dead right. Next season will be easier. The manager is on his second year, the players bedded in further, our squad will be stronger again. We have more experience in Europe and we almost certainly won't be as bedevilled with bad injury luck.

if all those things come to fruition and most importantly we get a decent pre season from injury free players coming back from Brazil and our squad is improved its hard to disagree with you DD.

paulchapo said:
johnson28392 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
He's already come close to winning the league. Last year we were out of it in January, this year it is right to the wire.

His targets will not have been 'one major trophy'. They will have been all-round improvement and that has happened. When this squad fulfils it's potential the trophies will naturally follow. Managers are evaluated on the future as much as the past.

No he hasn't, we could still end up in fourth or third place which I think will not be good enough.

But I think we'll finish 1st and win this league. Too many people think that Liverpool are going to win their last three games. I really think they will draw all three of them.

There is no way Newcastle will have the bottle to survive a seething Anfield if they need the win,no way.

Tim Krul.

johnson28392 said:
paulchapo said:
johnson28392 said:
No he hasn't, we could still end up in fourth or third place which I think will not be good enough.

But I think we'll finish 1st and win this league. Too many people think that Liverpool are going to win their last three games. I really think they will draw all three of them.

There is no way Newcastle will have the bottle to survive a seething Anfield if they need the win,no way.

Tim Krul.

I ain't overly worried about him it is the ten useless fuckers in front of him,lol!

mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
It was a very well balanced, however I don't buy into the received wisdom that next season will necessarily be harder per se. This is something that always gets said when people are disappointed about the outcome of a particular campaign. Last season, and the 2010/11 season this board was full of people pointing to what an opportunity we'd missed and how we wouldn't get such an easy ride the following season. I'm not saying that every season is equally as easy as each other, but these things are never linear. People expect Arsenal to improve next term, but they've been saying that for the last half-decade.

This group of players should peak next season. With better luck with injuries we should be much more formidable. That should inform the narrative as much as any other clubs' vicissitudes of fortune. I'm sure, for example, it will be on the minds of Chelsea fans.

Dead right. Next season will be easier. The manager is on his second year, the players bedded in further, our squad will be stronger again. We have more experience in Europe and we almost certainly won't be as bedevilled with bad injury luck.

if all those things come to fruition and most importantly we get a decent pre season from injury free players coming back from Brazil and our squad is improved its hard to disagree with you DD.

I'm incredibly optimistic that the jigsaw is virtually complete. It's blindingly obvious we need a centre half and also that we haven't got adequate cover for fernandinho and silva. And in January we attempted to solve those problems so the board are obviously aware. In summer we will put that right. And I think that, with a bit more turnover/tweaking, will put us at the level of the best in Europe. As long as we can keep hold of silva and aguero of course.

I am totally convinced that club is finally dead right from the top down. Khaldoon, soriano, txiki and Pellegrini. These are fucking good operators, shrewd, bright and driven. Even if we don't lift the title this year, and i haven't given up hope at all, I've seen enough to know that big trophies are coming, and plenty of them. Major upheaval is not needed. The ingredients are there.

Didsbury Dave said:
mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I'm incredibly optimistic that the jigsaw is virtually complete. It's blindingly obvious we need a centre half and also that we haven't got adequate cover for fernandinho and silva. And in January we attempted to solve those problems so the board are obviously aware. In summer we will put that right. And I think that, with a bit more turnover/tweaking, will put us at the level of the best in Europe. As long as we can keep hold of silva and aguero of course.

I am totally convinced that club is finally dead right from the top down. Khaldoon, soriano, txiki and Pellegrini. These are fucking good operators, shrewd, bright and driven. Even if we don't lift the title this year, and i haven't given up hope at all, I've seen enough to know that big trophies are coming, and plenty of them. Major upheaval is not needed. The ingredients are there.

Its an assessment that can quite clearly be shown to have some merit even with the Silva and Kun riders you allude to.

I still think while its paramount to focus on continual improvement from first team down to under 18 and putting in the steps to ensure that happens which clearly will increase the chances of winning silverware its important to realise that other sides will not stay still either.

We have the advantage in terms of financial clout at this juncture and its been sold well to some decent players notwithstanding the money their agents and managers expect as a result of this clout but that has to translate to getting in winners with hunger and passion and drive more success.

The last part is that bit which is not always clear cut and always within the clubs control.

I also think we need to take a moment and reflect on the other "top class" managers that many constantly refer to. Mourinho? Lost two consecutive games to Palace and Villa and at home to bottom of the league Sunderland. Managed to scrape through against a very under parr PSG side and defend through 90mins v Atletico... can't argue he is top class but look at some of those results. Think why they may have happened.

Guardiola. Won the German league at a canter, got Bayern into the German Cup final, played typical possession based football with little end product for 90mins and lost to Ancelotti's contain and counter tactics. Both are top managers, Ancelotti's tactics relied on solid defending and making the most of what opportunities come Real's way, Guardiola's was based on keeping the ball, creating chances and tiring the opposition out. Both well founded principles and the score is 1-0 to Ancelotti. Barca have a new manager, are third in the league, lost the Copa Del Rey final and were knocked out of the CL at the quarter final stage. New manager, new league - injured players? Ancelotti too, new to the Spanish league, has won the Copa Del Rey and poised to possibly win La Liga and/or the CL. But they are currently 2nd in La Liga and need Atletico to slip up.

I think for most non-City fans you would look at the injuries and attach some weight to the impact of that on our results this season. You would look at the manager and attach some weight to the fact it is his first season at the club. You would look at last season and compare to what we have done this season. Won the league cup... first time since 76. Quarter of the FA Cup, finalists the year before. Last 16 of CL, 4th in group. 2nd in league by a distance, potentially 3pts behind leaders at current stage of season. I know contexts are different but if Liverpool get 89pts then that is a very respectable total and usually wins you the league. The fact they came from nowhere is beyond our control. We didn't lose points to them - we took three, they took three so we haven't handed any advantage to them. We can still get 86pts. I will be disappointed if we don't win the league. I will see it as a real missed opportunity. But I will also see the green shoots that give me confidence we are going to be even better next season and will be able to not only compete, but win multiple competitions.

As an aside, and purely based on some weird feeling within, I think we will win the league this season. I wasn't sure when we lost at Anfield, but when we drew with Sunderland I just had a feeling there would be some dramatic twists and turns still. 11 games won in a row but should they now only win two of the last three we can still win it. And I strongly believe they will walk away from their next two with 2pts maximum.

mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I fundamentally disagree. Chelsea like us had a new manager getting used to his team, but unlike us they were ludicrously short of a top quality striker, and yet they still ran us very close. They might even finish above us yet, or who knows perhaps even win it. I cannot see anything other than them being even more formiddable opponents next season.

Perhaps bizarrely, I don't think Liverpool will be as much of a threat. Not because they won't strengthen - I am sure they will - but because their ridiculous run of good luck cannot continue forever and they will have their hands full with CL distractions. Top 4 for them at best.

Arsenal will be just, well, Arsenal. There or thereabouts but not really a threat. And United will be similar - there or thereabouts but not really a threat.

It's Chelsea we have to worry about though. Unless we are MUCH better next season (which by the way, I expect we will be), Chelsea will run away with it imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.