Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB1 said:
franksinatra said:
OB1 said:
Just edited my comment above to point out that we are conceding less shots per game than any other team in the league.
Eh? Furry bollocks is that the answer ?

So what does that equate to. Is our defence from that stat performing better than Southamptons for instance?. Do we have the best defence in the league then currently?

If not what can we deduce from this information?

How do you think the defence is performing?

Our defence has made too many costly errors which is why the number of goals conceded is higher than the shots against would lead you to expect. However, the way that the team as a whole is playing is not allowing our opponents lots of chances. The system that we are developing is very promising. If we could consistently field our best back four, I'd expect our defensive record to improve rapidly.
Furry bollocks edited

franksinatra said:
OB1 said:
franksinatra said:
So what does that equate to. Is our defence from that stat performing better than Southamptons for instance?. Do we have the best defence in the league then currently?

If not what can we deduce from this information?

How do you think the defence is performing?

Our defence has made too many costly errors which is why the number of goals conceded is higher than the shots against would lead you to expect. However, the way that the team as a whole is playing is not allowing our opponents lots of chances. The system that we are developing is very promising. If we could consistently field our best back four, I'd expect our defensive record to improve rapidly.

I would agree with that and say when Kompany returns things will improve. However we are in the here and now and as you agree the defence is not playing well.

The reasons for this is not just individual mistakes, poor organisation also. We saw on Sunday a couple of chipped passes in wide areas lofted into the box and due to the positional play of the defenders led to chances.

I rarely agree with the analysis of MOTD but it did highlight Fernandinho behind the two centre halfs playing the oppostion onside and Demichellis appealing for offside due to a lack of awareness of those around him. Furthermore I think Milner would have been more effective than Garcia yesterday as he would have provided better support to the fullbacks, as he often does for England and City, as these were the areas we struggled with Hazard, Schurlle and Torres' runs.

Many people want a fresh dawn but the system is not too dissimilar to Mancini's. Pellegrini continues to play two upfront, Dzeko is back on the bench and Navas has lost his place to Mancinis preferred formation of Silva and Nasri occupying the flanks as inverted wide players. What has changed is we look less organised and have less of a presence in central midfield without Gareth Barry. Will be sad if we need to sacrifice a striker to accommodate an additional midfielder.

I think some people want the world. Again, that was Chelsea in their own back yard and bar 20 minutes at the end of the 1st half, we were comfortably the better side. I know what you're saying about Milner, and heaven knows I'm one of Garcia's biggest critics, but I don't think the former's inclusion yesterday would have improved our lot at all. Garcia did a reasonable job anchoring the midfield and allowed Ya Ya and the excellent Fernandinho to push forward, and Chelsea's "3 musketeers" never really threatened us. Tactically I think we got it near enough spot on, and were it not for the fuck up twins repeating their Villa Park buffoonery, then we would all be sitting here lauding an excellent performance

Stoned Rose said:
I feel MP is doing well so far. Reasons being

1. We've played some very very high quality stuff going forward.

2. Top scorers in the division

3. Al but qualified from the CL group

4. He seems to have turned Garcia, nasri and kolarov into better players.

5. He is excellent at the media side of it. Doesn't get sucked in like RM always did. Doesn't 'blame' or scapegoat players in public. Doesn't given the sharks any sniff of blood.

Yes we've dropped 7 really silly points but none of those could be directly attributed to MP. They were all either individual and/or team mistakes.

I think it's clear he believes in scoring being more important than clean sheets. I agree with his philosophy as 38 clean sheets would get us fuck all if they were all 0-0 draws. Goals win prizes not clean sheets.

As we've had the best defensive record for 3 years now this re-prioritisation is something we as fans will simply have to adjust to.

When utd lost out to us on GD did they go mental and buy better defenders? Did they fuck they went out and bought more goals. It worked .

Goals win prizes and our bizarre individual mistakes won't continue forever.
Excellent post SR.

cleavers said:
Stoned Rose said:

5. He is excellent at the media side of it. Doesn't get sucked in like RM always did. Doesn't 'blame' or scapegoat players in public. Doesn't given the sharks any sniff of blood.

Yes we've dropped 7 really silly points but none of those could be directly attributed to MP. They were all either individual and/or team mistakes.

I think it's clear he believes in scoring being more important than clean sheets. I agree with his philosophy as 38 clean sheets would get us fuck all if they were all 0-0 draws. Goals win prizes not clean sheets.

As we've had the best defensive record for 3 years now this re-prioritisation is something we as fans will simply have to adjust to.

When utd lost out to us on GD did they go mental and buy better defenders? Did they fuck they went out and bought more goals. It worked .

Excellent post SR.
It certainly was.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
cleavers said:
Stoned Rose said:

Excellent post SR.
It certainly was.

A refreshing dose of positivity and reasoning. Excellent post

Yep a good post I agree. However - for the sake of debate here is an alternative viewpoint:

Stoned Rose said:

We have played very high quality stuff for a few years now - the first half of the title winning season being one period of note.

We were top scorers in the Division when we won the title AND had the least goals conceded - they are not mutally exclusive.

The easiest group we will ever have to qualify from - without a doubt.

Joe & Nasty have turned into complete duck eggs under his stewardship.

Given - no argument or discussion on this one. A major improvement.

Far to many and to frequent defensive errors to put down to 'individual errors' There is something collectively wrong with our defence these days.

Ask Kevin Keegan if this philosophy will win you trophies?

During that time we collected major silverware. All great teams are built on a foundation of a rock solid defence.

We won the title on GD BECAUSE we had conceded the LEAST number of goals!!!

See points made above.

TGR said:
Yep a good post I agree. However - for the sake of debate here is an alternative viewpoint:

Stoned Rose said:

We have played very high quality stuff for a few years now - the first half of the title winning season being one period of note.

We were top scorers in the Division when we won the title AND had the least goals conceded - they are not mutally exclusive.

Far to many and to frequent defensive errors to put down to 'individual errors' There is something collectively wrong with our defence these days.

During that time we collected major silverware. All great teams are built on a foundation of a rock solid defence.

See points made above.

Practically every point you make refers to the 2011-12 title winning season. Those days had already gone and were well behind us before this manager took charge. You seem to have developed a convenient mental block about last season when we didn't score anything like enough goals, couldn't break down defensive teams and lost practically every key game. That's what he inherited.

TGR said:

Stoned Rose said:

See points made above.

Hart was already a duck egg before Pellegrini came along, or have you forgotten Mancini's public criticism of him? Plus, what exactly did our defence focused set up win us last year? Chuff all. I don't think Pellegrini's philosophy is necessarily flawed, but rather we don't have good enough defenders at present to make it work consistently. I would happily off load Clichy and Lescott if I thought better options were available, whilst Nastasic without Kompany to guide him is an error strewn mess at the moment.
And just as an addendum, to what do you think Liverpool owe their sudden propulsion up the table? Suarez and Sturridge or Skrtel and Agger?

Exeter Blue I am here said:
TGR said:

Stoned Rose said:

See points made above.

Hart was already a duck egg before Pellegrini came along, or have you forgotten Mancini's public criticism of him? Plus, what exactly did our defence focused set up win us last year? Chuff all. I don't think Pellegrini's philosophy is necessarily flawed, but rather we don't have good enough defenders at present to make it work consistently. I would happily off load Clichy and Lescott if I thought better options were available, whilst Nastasic without Kompany to guide him is an error strewn mess at the moment.
And just as an addendum, to what do you think Liverpool owe their sudden propulsion up the table? Suarez and Sturridge or Skrtel and Agger?

Whilst I agree with all your sentiments, and I certainly think another centre half would be great, I'm convinced clichy just needs to play himself back into form. I suspect demichelis will be a good enough deputy for vinny in the short term so for me I'd be happy to agree with your other proposition if a world class left sided centre half came available.

I think he's doing ok at the moment.

We're looking a bit better going forward and a bit worse defensively which is more or less what I expected of him. League position isn't great obviously but it can be a bit misleading at this stage of the season.

I'm not sure he'll win trophies with us but hopefully I'll be wrong on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.