Discussion about money in football sickens me

WallyA

I'm probably going to make a controversial statement but just how I feel, so much money being thrown about that it's rather annoying and upsetting.

I know that football has alot of money in it but just browsing any sort of news shows all these ridiculous fees thrown about that it just feels out of place. Anybody who reads my comments knows I'm fond of our academy and everyone noticed what Foden did so wondering if anyone feels like this, imaging many won't, given these 2 options:

1. Win the league spending tons of money (say get Sanchez) and incorporate no youth

2. Get 2nd or 3rd but heavily involved players like Diaz, Sancho, Foden, Roberts, Tosin etc.

I would actually pick option 2 because as much as I want to win the league, I enjoy seeing the entire development of the football clubs philosophy and vision more, and seeing what our players can develop into. I like Sterling, but wouldn't feel as much joy seeing his development than Foden, and ultimately for me, football is about enjoyment.

Option 2 all day long.

We need to identify more with the club and no better way than to see our youth players succeed, especially the local lads. I will always support City but I don't want them to turn into a team of galacticos or Harlem globe trotters.

As for the money I personally blame the rags, it's though they are saying ok you started it we will finish it.

As of right now and knowing what we know, I would choose option number 2. I would much rather win the league than incorporate the reserve squad because I don't think our current squad would be capable of finishing top three with a roster full of reserves. Foden, Sancho, and maybe Diaz are capable of logging quality first team minutes but I don't think it would be enough. I would rather see us go for a league trophy this year while slowly incorporating our youth, than go all in with them this season.

Option 3: Both. CFA is the strategic solution. We will adjust the balance of how players are sourced over time.

There's a balance to be struck. It's impossible to blood kids in such a competitive league with close games nearly every week. Managers have no time to develop talent, are constantly under pressure, with the next game being the be all and end all. It not only impacts our young players but ultimately the national side too. This is the price of having the best league in the world.

A team with 2 quality players in each position, able to rotate without weakening eg Navas, Nolito and Delph, stand a much better chance of gently introducing young talent. Our squad should be capable of putting games to bed earlier and hopefully having a decent points cushion. So ironically, this spending spree might create the right conditions for our academy talent. But they need to be good enough for us. It is not our responsibility to produce the next Stoke, Hull or WBA players.

Option 1 for me. I just want to see the best players at City and don't really care if they've been bought in or come through the academy. I doubt we'd get 2nd or 3rd heavily incorporating those players anyway. I'm all for giving them a few chances in the league cup but can't see numbers of 17-year olds becoming regulars at any top club. Not sure why there always seems such a rush to get them into the first team on a regular basis. It'll be a couple of years yet before the younger ones are ready to play a major part I would think.

As for being upset by money, what do you think the kids would be on if they were first team regulars? Aren't there rumours that Sancho might be leaving because a contract offer of 30,000 a week isn''t deemed acceptable for a 17-year old that has never played a first team game? As soon as they become first team regulars, they'll be wanting first team money.

I'm probably going to make a controversial statement but just how I feel, so much money being thrown about that it's rather annoying and upsetting.

I know that football has alot of money in it but just browsing any sort of news shows all these ridiculous fees thrown about that it just feels out of place. Anybody who reads my comments knows I'm fond of our academy and everyone noticed what Foden did so wondering if anyone feels like this, imaging many won't, given these 2 options:

1. Win the league spending tons of money (say get Sanchez) and incorporate no youth

2. Get 2nd or 3rd but heavily involved players like Diaz, Sancho, Foden, Roberts, Tosin etc.

I would actually pick option 2 because as much as I want to win the league, I enjoy seeing the entire development of the football clubs philosophy and vision more, and seeing what our players can develop into. I like Sterling, but wouldn't feel as much joy seeing his development than Foden, and ultimately for me, football is about enjoyment.

Me too & it's not even a close decision.

And to then come through & win trophies with those players, later, destroys pretty much any argument about 'buying' the titles & 'ruining' football etc etc & puts City at the top of the tree for future young players to sign up.

But there is still a pretty good chance we could do that now & still win it anyway, provided we use the young players in the right games.

No sure why we can't buy brilliant players to win the league but sell our average ones to make room for youth. I see no reason for this not to happen if the bench warmers like Kola, Fernando, Delph, Navas are moved on. The issue was a biggish squad of aging players who we were very loyal to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.