dishonest people

It was her way. She’d insult you (once told me a Pingu badge on a football shirt I was wearing made me “look like a twat”) but genuinely got away with it. Sassy girl.

We went out for a pizza takeaway when she knocked off one night and I thought I was in. On the way there she told me she was a lesbian and asked if I was disappointed. It transpired she wasn’t and just hadn’t wanted me to get my hopes up.

Yeah, but, “take your own” or “and your own” threw me. I round up taxis, restaurants etc. In Berlin, they had a tips box on the bar so I put one Euro in when the beer was four.
giphy.gif

So are they expected to take 20 or 30 pence themselves? The staff had half pint tumblers behind the bar that they put their tips in.

Service was included when I was in Malaga (10% on the bill) but it really can vary from culture to culture.

There’s table service in some countries in bars. You bargain and haggle in markets in others.

I made the mistake of doing this in the Malmaison before a match a while back. Bought a pint each for me and a pal (£6 each), gave the kid £15 and said ‘and your own mate’. He gave me the grand total of fuck all back.

Different fucking world. Not been back.
They wouldn’t have even been full pints, SR.

Teach you to give it the Billy Big Bollocks ;-)

I was on a Brittany ferries ship to France many years ago pre the euro.
I had treated the family to a meal in the a la carte restaurant and paid the waitress.
It was only when we got back to the cabin and I started mentally checking the arithmetic I realised I had tipped them WAY too much, something like £50.
I returned to the restaurant expecting to be rebuffed but was met by a smiling crew member who just said I thought you’d be back and gave me back the saucer with the whole tip. I adjusted it downwards but still made it generous thanks to their honesty.
They wouldn’t have even been full pints, SR.

Teach you to give it the Billy Big Bollocks ;-)

Tbf mate, it really did.

Lesson learned.

Quick question OP; you accuse the fella who delivered your curry of being "dishonest" (your word). To me, being dishonest implies intent on his part and also knowledge that you didn't mean to give him £20, only £10. How can you know that that was the case?

He technically isn’t being dishonest if you said to keep the change.

I never know how much to tip or whether to tip at all. It can be bad etiquette to over tip because you might appear to be showing you have huge wealth.

As I’m not really from Manchester originally, I had no idea what “take your own” meant in a pub to the bar staff. It was the done thing in my Failsworth local but when the barmaid asked “can I take my own?” I had to give a blank look and say I didn’t know what she meant. She put the change on the counter and stormed off!

Am I right in thinking it’s 20p for them if your pint is £2.80? I’m still not certain!

Take your own , or have one yourself is an age old custom across the UK, not sure how you never herad of it before, also it's customary that the offr is to buy them a drin kbut they just keep the money instead there is no limit or ratio on what that tip is.

It's different down south. If you say "have one yourself", it's an invitation to the bar person to actually have a drink. So you'd normally do it only if you knew them reasonably well (or wanted to impress).

Fackin tight Northern monkeys!

It's the same up here, normally of it's the localthen I am getting a drink if it's a boozer I am just visiting I just say keep the change.

Back onto the dishonesty bit, in my youth I wprk in the bars at a disreputable hotel chain I won't slander by mentioning and tge chief barman told us "always have a bowl of water near the till" what he used to do is wet his hand when hand8ng chamge back as if the money was wet most never checked it and he would shoort change them, the robbing twat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.