Do Liverpool have a better system?

Scaring Europe to Death

Whilst studying Liverpool’s criteria for their game in Dortmund (based solely on attendance at certain european games over the last three seasons) I began to wonder how many clubs adopt the same system as ours, and which is the fairest?

To be honest, I haven’t a clue, but let’s not kid ourselves that Liverpool and United don’t have bigger issues than us, when it comes to demand exceeding supply for away games.

As far as I’m aware, we’ve only had a major problem domestically, with the games at Bournemouth and the Swamp, This might have been different if the Anfield game hadn't have arrived just after Wembley, or if Burnley get promoted, but as many posters have suggested, there’s been a number of away games this season, when our allocation has either gone down to General Sale, or simply not sold out.

Personally, I prefer the european away games, but having attended 73 of the last 76, this can often cause problems with my holiday entitlement.

In 2015, I travelled to Barcelona, Stuttgart, Monchengladbach, Sevilla, and Juventus. However, we also had midweek away games at Palace and West Brom etc, so once I allow for holidays that don’t involve a sky blue shirt, I’m usually struggling to make any Autumn domestic away games, particularly the League Cup at Sunderland,(and Leicester in 2013)

Talking of the League Cup, I’m sure I’m not the only supporter who laughs when the attendance always appears to be at least 5,000 less than the published figure. thanks mainly to supporters in the Cup Scheme not attending the game,even though, their bank accounts have been debited £15. Is that classed as “points whoring”?

So, in theory, a Platinum Seasoncard holder in the Cup Scheme could have gone to Wembley in March despite not attending against Sunderland, Palace, Hull, and Everton. In contrast a Gold Seasoncard holder, who wasn’t in the Cup Scheme, could have attended every game, but missed out on the Final.

Is that fair? Perhaps it is, and there’s no better way of getting bums on seats and guaranteeing a decent crowd. However, some people can’t judge in August, just how much money they’ll have available in November.

Obviously, the new ticket collection system has opened a can of worms, but I’m not convinced that hundred of City fans are deliberately buying tickets on a regular basis, with no intention of going to the game whatsoever. Perhaps occasionally to help a friend, but what’s the point, when the friend could easily have bought the ticket and boosted his/her own points tally?

Far more likely is the probability that hundreds of our supporters, including many who travel to all the european away games, are using a Seasoncard that strictly speaking, doesn’t belong to them.

As I stated on another thread, United once declared an Armistice, after estimating that they had 1800 deceased Season Ticket holders, apparently still attending games.

I’m sure that City have the same problem, and just as likely, we've probably got elderly supporters who can’t be bothered with the hassle of away games anymore, so have lent their seasoncard to a family/friend. I know people who share a seasoncard, and we’ve probably got fans who have experienced a change in personal circumstance. but don’t want to fall down the pecking order.

It’s not as though anybody is going to ring the Ticket Office, and declare their loyalty points to be null and void.

Which brings me full circle to the Liverpool criteria for their attractive game in Dortmund, for which they’ve been allocated 3416 tickets, costing £29.

Forget loyalty points, Cup Schemes, or Platinum membership.
The first priority are those people who can prove that they attended all of the following games listed, (some more attractive than others). It then goes down to six games, and so on.

Manchester United (17.03.16), FC Augsburg (18.02.16), FC Sion (10.12.15), Rubin Kazan (05.11.15), Bordeaux (17.09.15), Besiktas (26.02.15), Ludogorets (26.11.14), Real Madrid (04.11.14) and Basel (01.10.14).

Now, I’m not sure how they prove attendance, but equally, apart from a tout, I can’t imagine anybody qualifying for a ticket for the Swamp, and then immediately selling it to somebody else.

Again, I’m not suggesting that our system is better or worse, but just imagine City adopting the same system, and basing our criteria for PSG, purely on previous european away games, deliberately choosing some fixtures that were over subscribed,(Barca, Madrid, Sevilla),and others which didn’t sell out, (Roma, Juventus, Napoli)

If our european games were based on a different criteria to the Premier League, then nobody would jump the queue for Barca or Sevilla, simply by buying tickets for Premier League games that they weren’t attending.

Similarly, City could change their domestic criteria so that points for League Cup games were separated from FA Cup games etc.

For example, if City reached the FA Cup Quarter Finals next season, and were drawn away to Luton, or Walsall, then we might only be given 1500 tickets. What fairer way to prioritise the allocation, than by offering the first bite of the cherry to those fans who travelled to Stamford Bridge this season?

It wouldn’t resolve the “Points whoring” issue, particularly for the swamp derby, but then again, the Ticket Office could almost eliminate that problem by making people apply individually for fixtures, where demand was obviously exceeding supply.

Anyway, see you all in the huge queue at the Paris Collection Point.

Last edited:
I think there's some mileage in the Liverpool system - give priority to those fans that have attended the most matches in that competition. I know City give priority to those on the relevant cup schemes but someone with 15000 points who has only attended the home CL games gets first shout ahead of someone on 12000 points who has attended both the home CL games and some or all CL away games. The Liverpool system gives priority to the latter and they've used this criteria for years.

For me it should be on loyalty points. People on cup schemes should get a bonus, but shouldnt automatically jump ahead of others in the queue.

Something like criteria being 10,000 points, or cup scheme members with more than 9,000 points can get tickets.

a better system for claiming undeserved social benefits?

most certainly

Our system is better and i think the only reason some of the bigger teams like United and Liverpool haven't adopted it is because they can't just start from the beginning when the demand for tickets is as high as it is. How would they decide we is deserving of the tickets when nobody has any points? They can't do a random ballot and then award those people with loyalty points. We were very fortunate in that demand wasn't really a problem when the loyalty points scheme first started, A few years later and we wouldn't of been able to set it up. It was either a complete fluke or fantastic forward thinking from City.

There are a couple of draw backs to our system but on the whole its good. That said one fairly simple change they could make it increasing loyalty points relative to the attractiveness of the game. They use to do this more often but in my opinion those that went to Norwich, Kiev, Sunderland etc (I didn't by the way) should have benefited for additional loyalty points. It seems odd that you'd get the same 20/40 points for attending those games as you would for oversubscribed games like the derby, Bournemouth or Seville.

There are a couple of draw backs to our system but on the whole its good. That said one fairly simple change they could make it increasing loyalty points relative to the attractiveness of the game. They use to do this more often but in my opinion those that went to Norwich, Kiev, Sunderland etc (I didn't by the way) should have benefited for additional loyalty points. It seems odd that you'd get the same 20/40 points for attending those games as you would for oversubscribed games like the derby, Bournemouth or Seville.
I'd certainly introduce that change, but also give additional points to people attending under sold cup games at the Etihad, which is also rewarding 'loyalty'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.