Do Tourists ruin sight seeing trips ?

When I went, we had an American on his own in our tour group, he would not stop asking inane questions unrelated to Auschwitz. Went from Kraków which is a decent 1-2 hour minibus journey and he spent the entirety of it speaking to the person in charge about bloody lunch! was lunch included, the times of lunch, how long it lasts etc the guides broken English coupled with his strong accent lead to him just repeating the same stuff over and over as they both struggled to understand one another. We thought it would stop when we got there, nope, whilst they’re getting you all geared up with the headsets and running you through the rules etc he was still asking other people about lunch. As revenge I lead the entire minibus in quizzing him for 90 minutes on his lunch and plans for tea when we got back

Also, the amount of people trying to take photos in the rooms that explicitly say no photography was ridiculous.
I went to Auschwitz 3 years ago. Was the most harrowing experience of my life. What those poor souls went through was deeply saddening: (... I didn't even think about eating or taking photos.

You have to laugh at the Japanese, no matter where you go in the world there's always a party of them having their photo taken with the famous peace sign always on show.

Noticed last time I was in Paris the increasing amount of tourists who were more obsessed with taking pictures for their social media pages than actually caring where they are. Most of them seem to be American who haven't a clue about anything although US brits aren't far behind. Spent last summer in carnac, the amount of people who were taking pictures of the carnac stones without actually knowing what they were was mind blowing one bloke I was talking to thought they had been put there as a tourist attraction although he was a brummie so it didn't surprise me.

If I am visiting anywhere touristy I always visit early in the morning before the mass hordes descend on the place.

I remember going to Zante in the early 90s and visiting smugglers cove to see the 'famous' shipwreck. Are they still trying to get tourists to visit this crock of decaying shit nowadays?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was strategically placed there for gullible tourists to visit forever and a day.

Can not say personally, i tend to go on my own to places and why a cruise would just kill me. If i wanted to stay at a drop off point and some twat tried ushering me back on the boat i'd end up in the brig. It is the same principle imo, very structured with limited freedom going to see land marks.

A quick example is Lake Austin. All the tourists would go and enjoy it where the rules and regs were, que's and a generally unrelaxed commercial environment. My missus at the time, a native to the area, took me up a load of hills, parked up and we sat on the edge of a cliff looking down. It is just a patch of grass, nothing more. The view will stay with me forever.

It is not you getting old, tourist traps have always been soulless even if they did have one at a point. Pyramids? good luck just thinking of the majesty and engineering brilliance with all the rubbish flying around about after a long crappy coach ride with another to come. People say Christ the redeemer is cool... until you see all the fucking stairs. A lot are over egged to. Sears tower was cool but i went in winter so it was not super busy, still busy enough for a few que's though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.