Do we actually have a transfer strategy?

VOOMER

I'm glad we are dodging the money grabbed, but we always seem to be two injuries away from the wheels coming off. The latest debacle has left us with a piss poor central defense, a stale and lacklustre attack and having to spend big again just to repair what should never been allowed to drift in the first place.

Ederson, Laporte, Mendy and Sane all injured today. You could make a reasonable argument that all four of those would be regular starters if fit. I don't care what transfer strategy you have, no team can deal with bad luck like that, and we can deal with it better than any other because of the great squad they've built up.

The lack of a central defender was a mistake, but given the overseas numbers, it was basically Maguire for £80m or no-one. I know some people were saying Nathan Ake, but I never thought him good enough. And everyone with hindsight is saying Tyrone Mings, but I don't remember anyone making that case in the summer.

For me we need a smaller version of the 17/18 refresh:

Out: Otamendi, Gundogan, D Silva (his choice), Mendy or Zinchenko, Bravo, Sane (his choice).

In: LB who'll stay fit, CB (left sided preferred), replacement for Sane and alternative striking option.

Squad would look something like:

GK: Ederson, back-up, junior keeper.
RB: Cancelo, Walker.
LB: Angelino (HG) + new signing.
CB: Laporte, Stones, Garcia + 1 star CB signing.
DM: Rodri, Fernandinho & Doyle.
CM: De Bruyne, Bernardo, Foden & young starlet if available.
RW: Sterling & Mahrez.
LW: Sane (or replacement), Sterling & Jesus.
ST: Aguero, alternative option & Jesus.

We need to rejuvenate our injury hit areas, bring in players who are better and will threaten incumbents and add variety to our attack so that we can go the likes of Norwich & Anfield with a different option and plan, but Pep really needs to stop picking his favourites and start blooding the likes of Foden, Garcia and Doyle now we won't win the league and using this as a rebuild to make sure our squad is as strong as possible heading into a summer where we need a couple of marquee signings to revitalise a stagnating squad.

Ederson, Laporte, Mendy and Sane all injured today. You could make a reasonable argument that all four of those would be regular starters if fit. I don't care what transfer strategy you have, no team can deal with bad luck like that, and we can deal with it better than any other because of the great squad they've built up.

The lack of a central defender was a mistake, but given the overseas numbers, it was basically Maguire for £80m or no-one. I know some people were saying Nathan Ake, but I never thought him good enough. And everyone with hindsight is saying Tyrone Mings, but I don't remember anyone making that case in the summer.

I said two years ago we should go for Mings, Tolmie said he'd rather we sign Ming the merciless! https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/jonny-evans.329986/page-511#post-10429655

We have a clear strategy, so no offence but a bit of a stupid question probably made out of frustration.

City have decided the worse thing they can do is to buy badly, so a player who you sign and does not perform is then very hard to get rid of as the teams paying the wages we do would not want.

They also decide on a price and don’t really go above even if it means losing the player.

I understand it but don’t agree entirely as I believe we have the best manager in the world and only have that for so many seasons, so would give him everything to succeed.

Rodri is the prime example of our transfer strategy and was clearly targeted from both a playing and financial perspective and I think will prove a brilliant signing. Although possible came a season too late.

Not buying a CB seems the perfect example as well, we seemed to target Maguire and pulled out when he went above our value. We did not feel confident enough that anyone else would be a success to make a bid. We will no doubt be in talks next summer I expect (not Jan) and will sign someone 50-60m mark who will be comfortable on the ball and a very good signing. Although again possibly a season too late.

Not buying a class CB this summer was a shocking mistake and are midfield is looking considerably weaker than last season.

KDB is becoming a worry, a player before last years injuries looked like he could become one of the worlds great players, this season he is looking very ordinary, yesterday I though he was poor, in a game we badly needed him to show his class.

Napoli likely to unload up to 5 players in the window in 7 weeks time. This following a major disagreement with owner De Laurentiis and coach Ancelotti.

Check this link from Football Italia.

Napoli are reportedly planning a mass exodus, which could start with Dries Mertens to Inter in January.

Napoli are in full-blown crisis mode after no wins in their last five games, exacerbated by the squad’s refusal to go on a punitive training camp.

With that in mind, Gazzetta dello Sport writes Mertens and Callejon will be the first to go.

Callejon should be China-bound, linking up with Marek Hamsik and Rafa Benitez at Dalian Yifang.

Mertens was expected to join the Spaniard in China, but La Gazzetta and Il Mattino both claim Inter are following his situation closely with a view to possibly making a move in January.

The Nerazzurri are short in attack following an injury to Alexis Sanchez, and the 32-year-old would command a valuation of €10m.

Winter exits seem likely for the pair, given their contracts expire at the end of the season and De Laurentiis has already warned that he will not match their renewal demands.

The newspaper also writes Elseid Hysaj, Faouzi Ghoulam and Allan - whose home was broken into on Friday night - are considered among the ringleaders who sparked the mutiny and will be moved on next summer.

Finally, it is claimed Lorenzo Insigne and Kalidou Koulibaly may be sold if the Partenopei receive large-enough offers for the pair.

Football squads and transfers have changed massively over the last 5 years. Wages are far more important than fee's and squad lists are often the number 1 restriction on what you can do in any transfer window (unless you want to piss of a player on high wages by leaving them off a list).

People bang on about signing x, y and z player. We have a full squad list and any player than comes in has to be matched with a departure! Unless you drop an injured player which is literally adding insult to injury.

In the summer we lost; Delph, Vinny and Danilo. We replaced with Rodri, Angelino (HG) and Cancelo. That was great business. Rodri is awsome and will go on to be one of the best midfielders in the league. Cancelo is an upgrade on Danilo. What more do you want. The only gap for a CB was with a HG player and Slab head went to the rags for massive money, Ming's would be a 50:50 bet in my opinion.

The reality is we had restrictions to work in and considering the reality of what we could do we did very well - we brought in 2 very good players.

Next summer 3 more positions come free at least and we will be able to do more.

Napoli likely to unload up to 5 players in the window in 7 weeks time. This following a major disagreement with owner De Laurentiis and coach Ancelotti.

Check this link from Football Italia.

Napoli are reportedly planning a mass exodus, which could start with Dries Mertens to Inter in January.

Napoli are in full-blown crisis mode after no wins in their last five games, exacerbated by the squad’s refusal to go on a punitive training camp.

With that in mind, Gazzetta dello Sport writes Mertens and Callejon will be the first to go.

Callejon should be China-bound, linking up with Marek Hamsik and Rafa Benitez at Dalian Yifang.

Mertens was expected to join the Spaniard in China, but La Gazzetta and Il Mattino both claim Inter are following his situation closely with a view to possibly making a move in January.

The Nerazzurri are short in attack following an injury to Alexis Sanchez, and the 32-year-old would command a valuation of €10m.

Winter exits seem likely for the pair, given their contracts expire at the end of the season and De Laurentiis has already warned that he will not match their renewal demands.

The newspaper also writes Elseid Hysaj, Faouzi Ghoulam and Allan - whose home was broken into on Friday night - are considered among the ringleaders who sparked the mutiny and will be moved on next summer.

Finally, it is claimed Lorenzo Insigne and Kalidou Koulibaly may be sold if the Partenopei receive large-enough offers for the pair.
Insigne would be a great Leroy replacement

Exactly. Imagine Liverpool without Allison, VVD, Robertson and Mané. They'd drop points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.