Do you agree with Pep that this season we are not very good in the boxes?

Without Laporte, and (to a lesser extent) Stones, we don't seem to pose much of a direct set piece threat, and usually opt for a short corner. The only occasional variation is when Gundogan runs to the near post.

Defensively, we've either conceded a goal (Spurs, Norwich) or needed a spectacular save from Ederson (Everton, Palace)

Even with Kompant we conceded at Brighton and also the Tottenham CL home leg.

I looked at Pep's comment and thought that it didn't really make sense because we won the treble last season and we're scoring at the same rate this season. It's jsut the defending as a team that has dipped.

Perhaps his comment is specific to the CL where it might be argued that City's open style means we will concede chances, and therefore have to be very good one on one defensively and have to be able to take the chances when we get them.

There's no doubt this season that with Laporte and Stones out, our one on one defending has dipped, but it should only be temporary. I think players like de Bruyne and Sterling have room to improve their finishing. Sterling still misses a lot of chances e.g., Palace.

Spurs, Palace and Dinamo we were woeful too. Our shots on target conversion rate to all but guarantee a win is 40% and we've regularly dipped below it.

Yes, we've been fragile defensively but we conceded 7 of those goals in 3 games and a number of them were very poor individual errors.

When we have 10 shots on target, more than 2 have to go in for us to reach the levels of previous seasons. They're are a number of times each season we get away with lower, but with no Laporte and a current over-dependence on Ederson we need to be more clinical, more often.

When you have a fundamental weakness you just have to paper over, the rest of the side has to step up to compensate.
I can see what he means - we're capable of much better in the opposing box even though we score more than anyone else. Liverpool are heavily reliant on VVD, and are supposedly the best defensively there is. But, hang on a minute, we've had midfielders playing in various defensive positions and have only conceded 2 more than them. We have scope to improve - it's not as though we're on our limit and can do no better.

I can see what he means - we're capable of much better in the opposing box even though we score more than anyone else. Liverpool are heavily reliant on VVD, and are supposedly the best defensively there is. But, hang on a minute, we've had midfielders playing in various defensive positions and have only conceded 2 more than them. We have scope to improve - it's not as though we're on our limit and can do no better.

The problem has been conceding big in a small number of games. Liverpool haven’t conceded more than one in any game. We have three times. That’s the problem. If we don’t click in those games we are not winning.

we conceded more than one only 3 times last season and 4 times the season before and we only won 2 of those games, losing the other 5.

We have to cut this out because it will cost us if it continues.

If you look at the service and creativity of our team compared to Liverpool, and then consider we only scored 6 goals more than them last season, there's obviously something wrong.

When Liverpool's front 3 wait 15 minutes for a decent chance, more often than not they take it. Our forwards seem to think that because we create 6 great chances a game, it's not the end of the world if they miss one, or if they shoot instead of passing to guarantee a goal *cough* Jesus *cough*.

And the problem is that we take that mentality into Europe as well, and then we lose, because if you don't take your chance it might not come again.

Losing to Spurs in the CL was the worst fixture for this, but it applies to tons of games - like the 2018 derby at Old Trafford.

Listening to Pep and his comments about City's Champions League prospects he says that we are not good this season in both boxes. I was a bit puzzled by this. He says we need to improve in both.

Defending I agree - although it is a simplification that defending is down to the the central defenders. We defend as a team. I think we are vulnerable at set-pieces, and to crosses.

I don't think City's attacking game has dipped. Perhaps Pep does not want to put pressure on our defenders or single individuals out?

If you look at the League table after 9 games and compare it to previous seasons, this suggests our scoring is as good as ever, and the big problem is defending as a team.

Season......Goals conceded......Goals scored......Points
2017-18.......32..........................4................25
2018-19.......26..........................3................23
2018-19.......29..........................9................19

I know this is all pretty obvious as we know we've been without both central defenders and hence a dip is to be expected in our defending. I am just a little surprised that Pep is questioning our offensive game. The only game we have struggled offensively is Wolves and we know why. I am regarding that as a one-off because of the injuries, illness and team selection.

You have to look past just the goals conceded/scored columns.

Why did we concede 5 against Wolves and Norwich? The defence wasn't great, but the main reason is that we just weren't scoring ourselves, and we got more and more desperate and didn't kill the games so the opposition grew into the game.

If we'd taken our chances in those games, we'd likely have gotten clean sheets, because when you go 2-0 up inside 30 minutes, teams give up.

imho its shit or bust for Gabby this season he has to get the better of Serg for game time no doubt has a great finish as the one at Palace proved but for a Pep team he has to do a lot more he goes invisible at times and need to see more all round involvement in his game Also his frustrating knack of being caught offside Tbf he has been more savvy thus far is he nailed on to be Aguero"s successor ? im not convinced but wouldnt be sorry to see him step up

Without Laporte, and (to a lesser extent) Stones, we don't seem to pose much of a direct set piece threat, and usually opt for a short corner. The only occasional variation is when Gundogan runs to the near post.

Defensively, we've either conceded a goal (Spurs, Norwich) or needed a spectacular save from Ederson (Everton, Palace)

Even with Kompant we conceded at Brighton and also the Tottenham CL home leg.

Palace game was difference. I remember only one short corner, I was fairly surprised we were going with traditional ones.

imho its shit or bust for Gabby this season he has to get the better of Serg for game time no doubt has a great finish as the one at Palace proved but for a Pep team he has to do a lot more he goes invisible at times and need to see more all round involvement in his game Also his frustrating knack of being caught offside Tbf he has been more savvy thus far is he nailed on to be Aguero"s successor ? im not convinced but wouldnt be sorry to see him step up

Jesus is twice (at least) more involved in our game than Kun is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.