Do you like trains?

swan-on-track-2.gif

I agree that the train is expensive to use, however I don't think that it would be significantly less costly to use if it were re-nationalised.
It would though, be more co-ordinated and reliable imo.
Just a follow up on this. Was going to drive to Reading (due to the £120 cost of a ticket) and the night before, down the pub, a colleague told me to split the ticket (Brum-Leamington Spa-Banbury-Reading & back) which I did and it was fifty fucking quid. About 40% of the price of the original. Absolutely outrageous and surely you wouldn’t get such anomalies if re-nationalisation occurred.

Just a follow up on this. Was going to drive to Reading (due to the £120 cost of a ticket) and the night before, down the pub, a colleague told me to split the ticket (Brum-Leamington Spa-Banbury-Reading & back) which I did and it was fifty fucking quid. About 40% of the price of the original. Absolutely outrageous and surely you wouldn’t get such anomalies if re-nationalisation occurred.
A knock on effect of Thatcherism.

No you wouldn't, you would pay £140. I have been on a nationalised railway system, it is not something I ever want to return to.

I clearly wouldn't pay £140 as I've already indicated that £120 was enough to compel me to drive! :-)

I was focussing on your point about the anomaly in the pricing system wouldn't happen on a nationalised rail system. I was agreeing with you but making the point that it would be even dearer once a certain political party got its hands on it.

I was focussing on your point about the anomaly in the pricing system wouldn't happen on a nationalised rail system. I was agreeing with you but making the point that it would be even dearer once a certain political party got its hands on it.
Ok, well I disagree. I think price rises would be much harder to justify if the railway network’s ‘means of production’ were in public ownership.

I also disagree about your analysis of British Rail (assuming that was what you were referring to). I think trains were ok under BR. I used to get the train every day as a kid, pretty much throughout the eighties, so I speak with some experience, albeit from a young person’s perspective. Lots of things didn’t work as well as they do now, thirty plus years ago. I think the railways run centrally, with today’s technology, could deliver an efficient service. Being publicly owned doesn’t have to mean inefficient - many public services are delivered efficiently; I see it every working day (although I accept there is much waste in the public sector).

It’s ultimately down to the systems and the people. You need people who care about what they do

I think we could definitely find some seriously brilliant people who love the railways to run it, and run it well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.