Do you like trains?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mat, 10 Feb 2019.

1. Zubrman

Zubrman

Thanks for the info Mr Bergkamp.

2. dennishasdoneit

dennishasdoneit

Team supported:
    MCFC.
    Wish i had his foofball ability..what a player Dennis was ; )

3. mat

mat

[​IMG]

idahoblues likes this.
  4. gordondaviesmoustache

gordondaviesmoustache

Just a follow up on this. Was going to drive to Reading (due to the £120 cost of a ticket) and the night before, down the pub, a colleague told me to split the ticket (Brum-Leamington Spa-Banbury-Reading & back) which I did and it was fifty fucking quid. About 40% of the price of the original. Absolutely outrageous and surely you wouldn’t get such anomalies if re-nationalisation occurred.

BrianW likes this.
  5. BlueMoonRisin'

BlueMoonRisin'

Team supported:
    You are Banned!... Reason - "rag".
    A knock on effect of Thatcherism.

6. Blue Mist

Blue Mist

No you wouldn't, you would pay £140. I have been on a nationalised railway system, it is not something I ever want to return to.

7. gordondaviesmoustache

gordondaviesmoustache

I clearly wouldn't pay £140 as I've already indicated that £120 was enough to compel me to drive! :-)

8. Blue Mist

Blue Mist

I was focussing on your point about the anomaly in the pricing system wouldn't happen on a nationalised rail system. I was agreeing with you but making the point that it would be even dearer once a certain political party got its hands on it.

9. gordondaviesmoustache

gordondaviesmoustache

Ok, well I disagree. I think price rises would be much harder to justify if the railway network’s ‘means of production’ were in public ownership.

I also disagree about your analysis of British Rail (assuming that was what you were referring to). I think trains were ok under BR. I used to get the train every day as a kid, pretty much throughout the eighties, so I speak with some experience, albeit from a young person’s perspective. Lots of things didn’t work as well as they do now, thirty plus years ago. I think the railways run centrally, with today’s technology, could deliver an efficient service. Being publicly owned doesn’t have to mean inefficient - many public services are delivered efficiently; I see it every working day (although I accept there is much waste in the public sector).

It’s ultimately down to the systems and the people. You need people who care about what they do

I think we could definitely find some seriously brilliant people who love the railways to run it, and run it well.

BrianW and mat like this.
  10. worsleyweb

worsleyweb

That was our train back from Cardiff today.