Do you support the RMT?

I’m on record here as saying I don’t think they’re paid enough, though I’d prohibit all external work, prohibit them from working for two years after service, and prohibit any lobbying whatsoever. I’d also abolish all expenses, allowances, nepotism in appointments, and make them much more accountable to their electorate. Bit soft? Thought so.
It was the nepotism in appointment I objected to. I couldn’t see why she was parachuted into my constituency with no local connection and very little experience.

I may disagree with halfmist and think he talls a load of nomsense, but I must defend him here as one who often get's corrected for my sossig finger posts.

Annoys me this constant correcting grammar on social media, it ain't school or a valued piece of writing, just a post on a forum and if you understood what it meant, does it matter? ;-)

Sincere apologies.
I wasn’t aware the grammar police were on duty in the evenings.
I thought you would have been too busy getting your banner ready for the picket lines the following day.
I assume you will be going to show your moral support.
My humble excuse is I was on my way to a barbecue that the villa owners were putting on for the holiday makers and my Mrs was telling me to hurry up and get ready.
I will ensure, as a punishment, she proof reads everything before I post in future.
One Our Father and 3 Hail Mary’s have been duly said In Penance.
Hail Marys.
Proofread

I didn’t vote for my local Labour MP last time due to this ridiculous salary. She was a given a safe Labour seat at the age of 28 after very little career to speak of beforehand. I couldn’t stomach it and she almost lost the seat.
In my time I’ve seen some really impressive people at such a young age. Surely you determine ability over stuff like age, or are you saying that she didn’t have the ability?

Edit. Seen the response to Gabriel. Be interesting to know who it was?

As of April 2022, they're now on just a paltry £84,144, plus allowances, though if inflation keeps rising at its current rate, we might yet see them huddled around their own braziers on Westminster Green. Wonder if someone kept Michael Foot's donkey jacket?
Don't forget the tired old myth: "But they could always earn much more in the private sector."

£40,000 plus a year RMT staff? You want to stop believing everything you read, if you think that’s true. Also, if you think this is just about money, it’s not.
It absolutely is true for RMT. And the ASLEF train drivers get even bigger salaries. I know someone who swapped his senior managerial role (and all the stress that went with it) to become a train driver. He is much better off financially. I also know it is not just about money. I realise the train companies have been managed by idiots for decades but I don't buy all the propaganda that claims the railway staff are vital front-line workers. Most of them were lucky to carry on earning through Covid. They are not nurses and paramedics. My position is that I don't believe anything the Government or the Union says.

Staggering. She’s conflating 5 men stood in a line asking agency workers not to go in with some violent confrontation from 40 years ago. Essentially, she’s sounds like she’s doing the governments bidding, which is somewhat odd.
"I'm asking on behalf of the editor in my ear, who doesn't know when to give up flogging a dead horse"

Wages, in a capitalist society, are decided by supply and demand. That's why KDB is on £300k a week, because you won't find a dozen KDBs standing in the dole queue.

We now have a labour shortage (caused largely by Brexit) plus raging inflation on a scale that anyone aged under about 50 has never known. In such circumstances, pressure for higher wages is inevitable. The Tories and their fans don't like it, but it's their system. They wrote the rule book. Going on strike is no different, in essence, to Tesco putting up a tin of peas by 20p. No one calls that 'holding the country to ransom' do they? Come to that, they haven't said it about the oil companies ripping us off with their ridiculous prices. No, that's OK, because they aren't workers, and have their dividends and directors' fees to consider.

Thatcher resolved an issue of high inflation and high demand for wage increases by creating a pool of three million unemployed. I doubt that trick can be repeated any time soon.
Amen.

This is something I cannot believe the unions and in particular Labour have not pointed out again and again. One of the primary purposes of Brexit and this Tory manifesto was better jobs and pay as less immigration meant a stronger market for the jobseekers. Johnson for the last 12 months has banged on about been a high wage economy, I guess wage increases are only for MPs, not nurses, educators or train drivers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.