Does anyone over 45 on here still play 5 a side?

I play 3 times a week, Sunday, Monday and Wednesday evenings. Love it, and I’m still a half decent player so enjoy everything about it.

I played on a Monday night 6 a side team until I was 48 - mind you I did play in goal!
Once one lad was injured and we didn't have a sub so he went in goal and I had to play out for the final 15 mins. Gave my team mates one simple instruction...... don't pass it to me!

I played till 50, then was cut down in my prime(!) by RA. Was reasonably fit so could have carried on but for medical condition. One or two of the youngsters (i.e. all of them) could outpace me, but I used my experience to foul them surreptitiously as they went past (press down on the thigh). Loved it and missed it when I had to stop.

I haven’t played 5 a side for years. We used to run a side 20 odd years ago but found it so brutal. We just used to get the shit kicked out of us by men in their 50s. We played in an indoor sports hall but these days you have all these outdoor 5G pitches and the whole set up looks a lot more professional and more business like.

A few years ago a lad died playing five a side near to where i used to play. I think he went in for a tackle and hit his head on the wall and died from the resulting injuries. Very sad.

Played footy for the first time in a year or two yesterday and was shocked how shit I was. Despite loosing weight with the Covid my feet could not do what my brain was telling it and then I pulled my hamstring after about twenty minutes. Has anyone managed to still be able to play post 45?

I had exactly the same. Haven't played for 2 years and chucked my boots/astros etc in the bin thinking I was done. Was world class in the head but my legs just couldn't keep up!

Playing again Tuesday so hoping for some form to come back.

57 in December, pre -Covid was playing 3 x week, cut back to twice weekly currently, usually 6-8 a side with youngest player being 16 and most in their 30’s / early 40’s. Would play every day if I could.

Was lucky enough to be brought up in 70’s/ 80’s , so no games consoles and little organised junior sport, so was football, rugby and cricket with my mates on the local field.

It’s stayed with me throughout my life, love playing as much now as I did then. Great lads who I play with, all football mad, support different teams, so there’s plenty of rivalry and humour on and off the pitch. So it’s not just the playing that‘s so enjoyable.

I’ve no pace to lose, so reckon there’s another 20 years in me ( well maybe not) .

Played footy for the first time in a year or two yesterday and was shocked how shit I was. Despite loosing weight with the Covid my feet could not do what my brain was telling it and then I pulled my hamstring after about twenty minutes. Has anyone managed to still be able to play post 45?
i played right up to 55. my calf exploded so i thought my time was up.

I turn 60 in December and am down to playing 6 a side once a week on a 4G pitch, I intend playing as long as possible as the benefits far outweigh the negatives imo. Players are mainly 30s with a few in their 20s and a few my age, it's always a good competitive game and very rarely any daft tackles. I can't keep up pace wise but can still hold my own football wise.......I believe! I'm currently contemplating whether my Puma Kings will wear out before I do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.