Does anyone remember?

gordondaviesmoustache

The away Derby in 1977/78 being postponed due to a waterlogged pitch/torrential rain.

I've tried to look into this, including asking @Gary James if he can dig anything out, but to date, no joy.

I recall a couple of things vividly:

Looking forward to listening to a Derby (pretty sure it was in 1978) on Piccadilly Radio (not the full commentary - this was the dark ages) and playing football out the back of mum and dad's for about four hours in the pouring rain leading up to kick off - and when I came in to listen to the game, my mum told me the game wasn't going ahead due to bad weather.

Going to (what I recall was) the postponed fixture. It was at old trafford on 15th March (had to look that bit up) and I sat with my dad in the united end (scoreboard end). I was only 8 and I remember united going 2-0 up, upon which I burst into tears. Two united fans sat behind us tried to console me (believe it or not). We then pulled two goals back (Peter Barnes and Kiddo) and I stopped crying. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Those two events definitely happened, but I'm struggling to find anything to connect them.

The one thing that, above anything else, makes me think my mind isn't playing tricks on me, is that the 'postponed' game was played on a Wednesday evening. Highly unusual for a non-rearranged Derby (2012 noted). Plus, generally, in spite of my strenuous efforts to destroy my brain cells over the last 30 odd years, I've still got a pretty good memory.

Does anyone else remember this? Can anyone put me out of my misery?

That midweek Derby was my first Derby at the swamp. My dad took me and we stood in the scoreboard end. Can't actually remember if it was a rearranged game but it being midweek suggests it was

The only other things I remember were the score 2-2, the Stretford end chanting "Owen is a wanker" to Gary Owen and him standing in front of them bowing and I remember it being carnage on the forecourt after the game

I don't remember it myself but a quick google tells me that a derby scheduled for 4th Fefruary 1978 was postponed, I do not know why.
Programmes from the postponed game have been advertised for sale.
According to bluemoon's history section you are correct in that the match was rearranged for a Wednesday in March, the score was 2-2 with Barnes and Kidd getting our goals.
Hope a poster on here can remember the reason for the postponement but as the swamp is close to Manchester, rain would be a good guess.

The away Derby in 1977/78 being postponed due to a waterlogged pitch/torrential rain.

I've tried to look into this, including asking @Gary James if he can dig anything out, but to date, no joy.

I recall a couple of things vividly:

Looking forward to listening to a Derby (pretty sure it was in 1978) on Piccadilly Radio (not the full commentary - this was the dark ages) and playing football out the back of mum and dad's for about four hours in the pouring rain leading up to kick off - and when I came in to listen to the game, my mum told me the game wasn't going ahead due to bad weather.

Going to (what I recall was) the postponed fixture. It was at old trafford on 15th March (had to look that bit up) and I sat with my dad in the united end (scoreboard end). I was only 8 and I remember united going 2-0 up, upon which I burst into tears. Two united fans sat behind us tried to console me (believe it or not). We then pulled two goals back (Peter Barnes and Kiddo) and I stopped crying. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Those two events definitely happened, but I'm struggling to find anything to connect them.

The one thing that, above anything else, makes me think my mind isn't playing tricks on me, is that the 'postponed' game was played on a Wednesday evening. Highly unusual for a non-rearranged Derby (2012 noted). Plus, generally, in spite of my strenuous efforts to destroy my brain cells over the last 30 odd years, I've still got a pretty good memory.

Does anyone else remember this? Can anyone put me out of my misery?
It was definitely a rearranged derby. I can't remember the exact reason for the postponement of the original game but the previous Saturday (28th Jan) our FA Cup tie at Forest was called off because of a waterlogged pitch. We played the rearranged Cup tie on the Tuesday (31st Jan) so if there was more rain between then and 4th Feb there's every likelihood of the Swamp living up to its nickname.

The rearranged derby was one of those enjoyable derbies where the rags thought they had it sewn up only for City to score twice at the Stretford End and really piss the fuckers off - see also Roger Palmer's stoppage time equaliser in 80/81.

It was definitely a rearranged derby. I can't remember the exact reason for the postponement of the original game but the previous Saturday (28th Jan) our FA Cup tie at Forest was called off because of a waterlogged pitch. We played the rearranged Cup tie on the Tuesday (31st Jan) so if there was more rain between then and 4th Feb there's every likelihood of the Swamp living up to its nickname.

The rearranged derby was one of those enjoyable derbies where the rags thought they had it sewn up only for City to score twice at the Stretford End and really piss the fuckers off - see also Roger Palmer's stoppage time equaliser in 80/81.
And in 86 the day before the Full Members Cup final... 2 down and end up 2-2 with Arthur Albiston becoming a blue hero!

I seem to remember clive the book was in charge f this game and gave us the benefit of the doubt over the equalizer.i,m just glad this forum didnt exist when he was about.
the thing that stand out from my memory in this game is big joe turning round to us youngsters behind the goal just after they got their 2nd penalty and warning us all to look after yourselves on the way home.

Yes, good shout, between Law's backheel and the 2-1 win in 2008 we didn't get a huge amount of enjoyment at their place so those draws stood out more than they would nowadays.

Wasn't there a 2-2 draw there early in the fateful 1982-83 season where we were the ones to take a 2-0 lead and looking like comfortably seeing the win out, only for United to peg us back to 2-2?

Remember it like it was yesterday.

It probably was yesterday, G. On the bus after the CFC game, out at The Swamp, and the real Kiddo and Barnesy would still have run rings round that Rag defence of Moaniniho's. Alternatively, have you checked Google about short term memory loss?

I can only get to my seat these days cos the spiral has a single letter and my seat number has the same digit twice!

I remember the day of the original game, because it was around the time of the 20th anniversary of Munich, and there was a small piece in the Daily Express about United lowering their flags. (can't remember if there was going to be a minute's silence, or even if they had them in the 70s)
I seem to recall the game being postponed due to frost, and United getting more penalties in the rescheduled match than City had for the following 38 seasons at Old Trafford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.