Does it matter if a player comes from our academy into the first team more than if we buy a player

What gets forgotten is that academies are not meant to be sourcing just their own needs, but to develop players into professionals throughout the football family. As a parent of a child that has been through the system, his contract and development plan was to have a professional football career, not just necessarily for stoke, derby or burton where he has been. It’s extreemly rare that a player comes through the ranks to play for that particular club - even at a small club like burton. What I’m getting at is that city’s academy is hugely successful as it produces quality, well rounded players at clubs all over the world. Look at the players around the leagues that started at city, Chelsea etc. They are successes because they came through the system, no matter where they started off at. To have someone like foden come through is a once/twice maybe three times in a decade bonus. The football world is very lucky to have an academy like city’s to help produce so many great players.

Sitting on the train home after the Southampton game I got chatting to a fellow blue. I mentioned that i thought it was great that Foden got a run out at the end of the game and I hoped he would get a lot more starts. The other fella said it really didn't matter to him as long as we were winning. In a way i think he is right but for me I would prefer to win with at least some academy lads in the team. Just wondered what others thought?

It matters to me, Foden is one of our own, I love the idea of him becoming a massive player for City and England.

What gets forgotten is that academies are not meant to be sourcing just their own needs, but to develop players into professionals throughout the football family. As a parent of a child that has been through the system, his contract and development plan was to have a professional football career, not just necessarily for stoke, derby or burton where he has been. It’s extreemly rare that a player comes through the ranks to play for that particular club - even at a small club like burton. What I’m getting at is that city’s academy is hugely successful as it produces quality, well rounded players at clubs all over the world. Look at the players around the leagues that started at city, Chelsea etc. They are successes because they came through the system, no matter where they started off at. To have someone like foden come through is a once/twice maybe three times in a decade bonus. The football world is very lucky to have an academy like city’s to help produce so many great players.
^^^ this, the academies job is to make players not to make players for City.

If you have some patience, you probably will.

The rest of us have patience that an 18 year old will be a regular before he's 20.
But if he isn't a regular at 20, we burn the club to the ground, right?

Bingo.

One or two posters on here could use studying this for a while.

The academy is doing exactly what it should be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.