Does it matter if a player comes from our academy into the first team more than if we buy a player

What gets forgotten is that academies are not meant to be sourcing just their own needs, but to develop players into professionals throughout the football family. As a parent of a child that has been through the system, his contract and development plan was to have a professional football career, not just necessarily for stoke, derby or burton where he has been. It’s extreemly rare that a player comes through the ranks to play for that particular club - even at a small club like burton. What I’m getting at is that city’s academy is hugely successful as it produces quality, well rounded players at clubs all over the world. Look at the players around the leagues that started at city, Chelsea etc. They are successes because they came through the system, no matter where they started off at. To have someone like foden come through is a once/twice maybe three times in a decade bonus. The football world is very lucky to have an academy like city’s to help produce so many great players.
Brilliant post

The Academy is an integral part of the CFG business plan.

It will create revenue and a constant stream of players who will find their professional level...either at City, a non-affiliated team that will pay City real money to take him off their hands, a CFG club, or one of the affiliate/partner clubs across the globe.

The academy is the main way of blowing FFP out of the water.
We put lots of money into the youth and move them on.
The kids will come as they get the best footballing education and they know the path will be laid for a career in the professional game, whether at City, at home or abroad.

What gets forgotten is that academies are not meant to be sourcing just their own needs, but to develop players into professionals throughout the football family. As a parent of a child that has been through the system, his contract and development plan was to have a professional football career, not just necessarily for stoke, derby or burton where he has been. It’s extreemly rare that a player comes through the ranks to play for that particular club - even at a small club like burton. What I’m getting at is that city’s academy is hugely successful as it produces quality, well rounded players at clubs all over the world. Look at the players around the leagues that started at city, Chelsea etc. They are successes because they came through the system, no matter where they started off at. To have someone like foden come through is a once/twice maybe three times in a decade bonus. The football world is very lucky to have an academy like city’s to help produce so many great players.

I'd add that the intention of the academies much like at Barcelona is to form well rounded adults, a few end up professional footballers but they also end up going to university and pursuing advanced degrees in a variety of fields

This is lost on so many, unfortunately. I always take pride in seeing lads that came through City's academy thriving.

Yes, I’d prefer having more local City fans playing in the team, definitely. Obviously have to be good enough!

In the midst of all this clamour to play an (local) eighteen year footballer in our first team, has anyone thought about what the professional player he replaces for that match feels, and how he will react to be sitting on the bench instead of playing?

I am pretty sure Pep thinks about this (and many, many others matters) before deciding on his starting eleven...

I don't care where our players were born.

I just want our best team for the match to be on the pitch.

JJ

If you take the views of the vocal majority on here over the past decade then you'd have to assume having kids in the first team from the academy was the be all and end all. There's been countless threads bemoaning certain kids that evidently were nowhere near good enough, not getting a sniff.

In reality, it matters not one bit to the success of the team, it's simply another ultimately meaningless point that's been given significance by fans as a way of adding some pride to their team. Wouldn't be surprised if it really all started after Uniteds 92 team as a way of elevating their win above all others. In some respects it's not too dissimilar to people going on about attendance figures, another thing given a false sense of significance to make certain fans feel better about their team and use it as a bat to beat others with.

I want to be entertained, I want to win and everything else is an after thought.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.