Does Manchester need to demolish and relocate Strangeways??

Maybe we should knock it down and just built a giant wall around Moss side.
Fucking prick. Stereotyping a whole community and area. Nice one. Having spent the first eleven years of my life growing up in Victorian flats overlooking strangeways that were then compulsory purchased, I then moved to Moss Side and for us it was like winning the pools. Garden, inside toilet and bathroom, heating and a lot more than the two rooms in total we had in the flats. Maine Road 10 minute walk away…. But the real bonus was the people and community. Class people, a mix of ethnicities and a fucking great place to grow up. Dealt with this kind of shit most of my early adult years and the post code prejudice that went with it. Grow up……

This was life up to 11. That is strangeways at the bottom of the photograph, before the walls were redone. Only photo I have. Our place was that first flat on the first floor with the washing hanging up. During the IRA trials in the 70s we had soldiers all over the roof. A lot of the time the kids used to be up on the roof of the flats talking to the prisoners. Air raid shelters full of rats. Rubbish shoots that were also full of rats and we used to have to set on fire as the council used to ‘forget’ about us. Rooms full of cockroaches. It was character building. Again, the flats were full of Italian, Polish and West Indian people, Jewish Germans, and us Irish. Horrible place. Brilliant people. One of the lads I grew up with in there and moved to Moss Side with passed away last week. It brought back a lot of memories. D457A591-C2E6-446E-AF8B-FFD60AA8D24E.jpegD457A591-C2E6-446E-AF8B-FFD60AA8D24E.jpeg

This was life up to 11. That is strangeways at the bottom of the photograph, before the walls were redone. Only photo I have. Our place was that first flat on the first floor with the washing hanging up. During the IRA trials in the 70s we had soldiers all over the roof. A lot of the time the kids used to be up on the roof of the flats talking to the prisoners. Air raid shelters full of rats. Rubbish shoots that were also full of rats and we used to have to set on fire as the council used to ‘forget’ about us. Rooms full of cockroaches. It was character building. Again, the flats were full of Italian, Polish and West Indian people, Jewish Germans, and us Irish. Horrible place. Brilliant people. One of the lads I grew up with in there and moved to Moss Side with passed away last week. It brought back a lot of memories. View attachment 25941View attachment 25941

That is a genuinely stunning picture in its own unique way. Like a snap shot of time. Thanks for sharing.

That is a genuinely stunning picture in its own unique way. Like a snap shot of time. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. It is shocking when you think that we were left living in this place for far too long. I am only 55 yet my daughter thought I was winding her up when she saw where we grew up. When the council moved us out we had a choice of Moss Side or Harpurhay. I asked my old fella before he died why we chose Moss Side and he told me that it was a walk from Maine Road, and he had a real afinity with the prejudice felt by some of the black people that we knew. Being an Irish catholic when he came across was not easy. He struggled to get anywhere to live initially. He was from a Republican family and the irony is that he came over aged 17 to get away from being pulled into serious bother. It didn’t stop the police regularly raiding our flat and beating the shit out of him in front of us and my Ma. I remember as a kid wondering why we were all being dragged out of bed in the middle of the night. I was particularly perplexed when two coppers pissed on him and my Ma in front of us in our flat on one occasion. The strange thing is that it all stopped when we moved which was another bonus. He never had so much as a parking ticket throughout his life. Different times, different world, different life.

Someone I know lived in a ground floor flat at the bottom of Knowsley Street, near the dairy she was Irish and it was rough down there when I used to walk home at night At the bottom was the prison that’s a great pic it reminds me of the place it was called Lancaster Building

It was, it probably still is a red light district with kerb crawlers everywhere. Not a very safe place to live or walk

Yep... ours were Cornwall Buildings.

Is there where the OP is being kept?
I don't know but my request for a tour of his bijou apartments was never acted on.
I thought, lunch in the City Centre followed by a limo to a penthouse or 2 wasn't asking too much. I could then talk it over with my bank manager and make an offer.
Oh well.

I don't know but my request for a tour of his bijou apartments was never acted on.
I thought, lunch in the City Centre followed by a limo to a penthouse or 2 wasn't asking too much. I could then talk it over with my bank manager and make an offer.
Oh well.

Offer to serenade him with tune...

"You're just a fat Robbie Fowler, just a fat Robbie Fowler"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.