Does Mark Hughes deserve the best managers job in Europe?

*singingtheblues*

And no I'm not talking about Barcelona, Madrid, Inter.

Yes I'm talking about our very own Manchester City.

I was discussing this in another thread and seeing as I'm off to bed now I'm not going to write anything brand spankingly new (and you don't deserve it anyway! ;P) I'll just give you what I wrote on the Sven topic, as I believe I raised a very interesting question.

Now regarding Sven, I never wanted him to leave, he did wonders here, and I believe he would thrive in this postion right now. Especially with the current profile, investment and general position of our club. I do however believe that it would wrong to bring him back now... I just wish he never left.

I'll never forget singing his name at the Riverside, and watching him wave back in appreciation. :'(

I miss the feeling of having an ambassador of the club. Someone who made you proud, someone who you were genuinely proud to have as the manager of your football club. Someone who was unanimously respected and admired, a noble man, a man that you couldn't help but love. This is a man who in the summer of 2006 provoked feelings of hatred from myself and many other City fans, yet little more than a year later I -along with thousands of other blues- couldn't help but love him!

Now we have a manager who is managing (I use this word loosely) to make the same squad Sven got so much out of look like a Sunday league pub team, while adding Kompany, SWP, and Robinho - all players that would have walked into Sven's squad, and made it a significantly more successful team. We've also got a manager who makes me cringe with embarrassment with his Fergiscum like interviews, with his giant chin, with his greying rag top head, with his entire holier than thou demeanor. And last but certainly not least his dire and pathetically abysmal management of a quality football team.

Now the question I raised which I'm dying to put to my fellow blues;

May I ask; what has Mark Hughes done to prove he deserves what is the currently the best managers job in Europe if not the entire world?

A managers position with a quality football team, a football team which happens to house one of the most talented players in the world, a club with unlimited transfer funds, a club with the full backing of an incredibly rich (and patient) owner, a club with a large and incredibly loyal fan base, a club in the strongest league in the entire world, a club which you can build in your very own mould and how so you wish, a club which (with the right manager) is going to the very top of the world game, a club which you can build your very own dynasty at.

The managers postion at our club is one every manager dreams of, question is;

Does Mark Hughes deserve it?

Call me a traditionalist, but I'd say the jobs at Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are still more prestiguous jobs than Manchester bloody City.

Ric said:
Call me a traditionalist, but I'd say the jobs at Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are still more prestiguous jobs than Manchester bloody City.

I was waiting for someone to throw the rags managerial position at me. Coming from you Ric makes it all the more abhorrent, and plain hurtful. I feel asthough God has slept with my girlfriend and then slapped me across the face with the sodden condom.

:(

Haha, sorry to let you let you down, but it was a nice analogy you gave. I just think we get ideas above our station; we're not that attractive a proposition right now. We should pipe down and get on with things. This delusion of grandeur we have is absurd. On that bombshell I'm off to bed. Ta ra...

But yes I do get your point!

However I believe I still have a case (not against you or God, Jesus Christ(no not him either)! You know what I mean lol)...

I'm knackered, night all.

Ric said:

rag!!

*singingtheblues* said:
Ric said:

I was waiting for someone to throw the rags managerial position at me. Coming from you Ric makes it all the more abhorrent, and plain hurtful. I feel asthough God has slept with my girlfriend and then slapped me across the face with the sodden condom.

you are such a drama queen.. if god slept with your bird then it would have only been as if she had been ridden up d hole by meself ffs... your man is right - they are all bigger clubs with the exception of chelsea - they are not a bigger club than city in fan base, ground, history etc but very interesting and insightful original post

Ric said:
Haha, sorry to let you let you down, but it was a nice analogy you gave. I just think we get ideas above our station; we're not that attractive a proposition right now. We should pipe down and get on with things. This delusion of grandeur we have is absurd. On that bombshell I'm off to bed. Ta ra...

Oh I know, but it's all about potential... isn't it? Plus we are quite an attractive club, or at least I think so in my warped mind...

Night mate. (trying my best not to sound slightly homoerotic)

Ric said:

They may be more prestigious but I don't believe they are any more appealing than the "Manchester bloody City" job. From a managers perspective you have the opportunity to build something very special with less pressure than those other jobs. We have constantly lurched from bad to abysmal & back to bad. We finished 9th last season & qualified for Europe - SGE was a hero! This job isn't just about building a team it is about building a club. You have the opportunity to start from scratch; a blank canvass. You have the resources to build a dream club. It really is fantasy football & if you're a manager worth his salt & "had a pair" then you'd be making the call to Cooke to offer your services.
As a life long supporter my expectations on Sept 1 was for us, if we over achieved, to be in the Champs league in 2 - 3 years time & maybe a chance of a pot - realistically it would take 4 - 5 years. Tell me honestly whether you believe that the "supporters" of these more "prestigious" clubs have that same expectation?

What is the down side to this job?
- the lack of prestige? Buy a couple of household names & they give you the prestige.
- the pressure of expectation? There is more pressure to deliver at the clubs mentioned above than City (do you think Hughes would still be manager at any of those clubs with City's league position?).
- the lack of resources to build a team to compete? Hmmmmm.......

This is truly one of the best managers jobs currently out there.

CBlue said:
Ric said:

They may be more prestigious but I don't believe they are any more appealing than the "Manchester bloody City" job. From a managers perspective you have the opportunity to build something very special with less pressure than those other jobs. We have constantly lurched from bad to abysmal & back to bad. We finished 9th last season & qualified for Europe - SGE was a hero! This job isn't just about building a team it is about building a club. You have the opportunity to start from scratch; a blank canvass. You have the resources to build a dream club. It really is fantasy football & if you're a manager worth his salt & "had a pair" then you'd be making the call to Cooke to offer your services.
As a life long supporter my expectations on Sept 1 was for us, if we over achieved, to be in the Champs league in 2 - 3 years time & maybe a chance of a pot - realistically it would take 4 - 5 years. Tell me honestly whether you believe that the "supporters" of these more "prestigious" clubs have that same expectation?

What is the down side to this job?
- the lack of prestige? Buy a couple of household names & they give you the prestige.
- the pressure of expectation? There is more pressure to deliver at the clubs mentioned above than City (do you think Hughes would still be manager at any of those clubs with City's league position?).
- the lack of resources to build a team to compete? Hmmmmm.......

This is truly one of the best managers jobs currently out there.

My thoughts exactly, but you didn't answer the question...

Do you think Mark Hughes deserves the job? Has he got the credentials?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.