Does Pep need to be more pragmatic away from home in Europe?

aguerrrroooooooooooo

Before I start I want to state I am a Pep fan and think he's doing a great job for us, I hope he stays for as long as possible. However this is something that has been on my mind for a while. We have had what I'd consider 4 big away games (Barca, Monaco, Napoli and Liverpool) in Europe under pep and have conceded a staggering 12 goals in those games, an average of 3 goals per game.
At home we are a different animal and haven't lost a big European game at home under him.
We seem to have an approach which doesn't differ from at home and seems to be far too costly against good opposition when we travel away, do you think it would be of benefit to perhaps a slightly more cautious approach away in Europe?

Last edited:
Yes.

Monaco away, and now Liverpool away.

Sometimes shutting up shop for one game will do.

Ermm didn't he just replace Sterling with Gundogan, a move which some would call being pragmatic?

These games are all about mentality and that was sadly lacking last night.

No , I stood last night in the away end thinking livepool wouldn’t stand a chance over two legs against Napoli. Our players freeze at Anfield simple

No. He needs to stick to what we do best and not put an extra central midfielder on the right.

No , I stood last night in the away end thinking livepool wouldn’t stand a chance over two legs against Napoli. Our players freeze at Anfield simple
There's got to be more to it than that. These are top class football players under one of the best managers who have been dominant all season. While I agree anfield is difficult to play at I think the way we play just lends perfectly to their setup, especially with them having the home advantage

It's an easy route to go down after those 2 games you mention. However last night we didn't play our usual attacking team. We had Gundogan on the right(although he was useless in both aspects of the game). The first goal we had a corner and instead of crossing it played our way into trouble by ending up back on the halfway line. Generally we were just piss poor on the night,we didn't even create. Doesn't really matter what style you play if everyone plays that poorly in a big game you lose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.