Does the offside rule need changing?

....and to think the offside rule was only brought in to stop goal-hanging.
Speaking of goal-hanging ;- how many of van Nistelroy's goals would have been chalked off with VAR used fairly?

That wouldn’t have counted, as he played for the rags under the pisscan and would have been exempt.

Of course not - after one game all of a sudden we want a rule change? Beyond daft. VAR has to develop over the season for starters but tell you what lets change offside before match day 2 then what happens if VAR is judged a failure and axed at the end of the season? Change it again?

Regardless of VAR, the offside rule is stupid - if you have your hand in front of the last defender, it shouldn't be offside. I;ve thought this for years.

It should be tailored to ensure more goals not fewer. A defender with back to goal will be leaning forwards so current rule goes against the attacking side as their players will of course be leaning forwards and therefore upper body could be offside. Should be based on feet. It doesn't matter if the player then scores with his head which was "offside" because the defender was stood further back and could have leaned backwards. It rewards poor defending really under the current rule. We want more excitement and goals and tight decisions like the Jesus goal were ridiculous. It might help us in games this season too but I don't think they have it right yet.

Has to be the foot and nothing else.

If the attackers feet are behind those of the last defenders then he is stood in an onside position it’s that simple.

The game needs goals, not excuses to rule them out.

Been saying since day 1; fuck var and sort the offside rule out instead.

a, get rid of the 'interfering with play' nonsense
b, linesman in each half
3, benefit of doubt to the attacker.

Agree it need sorting but not by these measures.

The interfering with play rule stops a load of off sides, going back to any player being in the position is retrograde. If one is right in front of the keeper then fair enough.

I think it should be players feet and needs a margin or error of say 6 inches. Anything not called in real time that is less than 6 inches off on VAR should be Refs call. However if it is called and a player is 1mm on then it should be a goal. That gives a decent benefit of doubt toward an attacker.

All aspects of the game require the ball to have completely crossed the line to be considered a goal or out of play. Why is offside any different? The attacker should be completely beyond the final defender, not offside because a toenail is the wrong side. It's actually a really easy change for FIFA to make and could be brought in very quickly. It doesn't resolve everything by any means but as things stand this is going to kill the game and quickly I reckon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.