Does the offside rule need changing?

The problem is with the application of the offside rule because the decision must be taken when the ball is played. Often the decision is obvious - we saw and incident at the swamp yesterday where a "goal" was disallowed because the scorer, Rashford was at least 3 yards offside. Even so we had the full drama of the ref touching his ear piece, signalling a delay and then announcing the free kick! But as the pace of the game increase some cases are very close indeed, some impossible to see without technology and some even with technology cannot be be given with any confidence at all (as on Saturday). So, yes - the rule needs to be clarified, at the very least to take account of the inability of current technology to locate the precise moment at which the ball was played. In my opinion basing offside on the position of the feet is about the best we can do. On Saturday we saw how ridiculous ruling an armpit offside was - did the ball actually leave the ground? It was certainly never played by an armpit in the move!

I think it would be easier to officiate if the rule was changed to 'any part of the attacking player must be level with the defending player'. So if the attacking player gets the run on a defender, but his back leg is level then it's fine.

It's easier to figure out if there is clear daylight between players than to see who is marginally ahead of the other.

Feet, because it’s about where a player positions himself.

I was blazing about Saturday’s disallowed goal at the time. In the cold light of day, we’ll have to get accustomed to VAR decisions being taken on millimetres, just like line calls. That said, I’d feel happier if it were based on feet rather than a shoulder or a hand.

Have you thought through the implications for women’s football?

Just askin’ like.
I was wondering about goals being given based on cold nips vs warm nips if they are defining accuracy to the nearest fraction of a mm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.