Doom and Gloom

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by city2, 10 Jan 2019.

1. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

Team supported:
    Team Pep
    [​IMG]

SebastianBlue likes this.
  2. ballinio

ballinio

100%

3. sir baconface

sir baconface

Excellent post, SB. I was being a bit of an old cynic, as you might have guessed. Some of this stuff is beyond our control but some is self-inflicted. I can recall U-turns within the same financial services company involving decentralisation, then, on change of CEO, centralising again. Each change entailed considerable “re-engineering”, cue job casualties. I also worked with an in-house sales force numbering many thousands that eventually dwindled to zero. Earlier in my career I worked in manufacturing industry, which eventually fell victim either to changing consumer preferences or to competition from cheaper countries.

Luckily I’m no longer in that loop, being (largely) retired.

Anyway, good luck mate. There’s no harm whatsoever in unloading your frustrations on here. (But do avoid the political forum if you want to retain a semblance of sanity!)

Last edited: 11 Jan 2019
    nimrod and SebastianBlue like this.
  4. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated.

And it sounds like you could write quite an account of corporate malpractice and incompetence!

Ever thought of doing just that? I’m not sure I am necessarily representative of a profitable market, but I would definitely be interested in reading it.

5. abu13

abu13

I get the feeling that many employers are going to use Brexit as an opportunity for change and not in a good way for many people.

6. sir baconface

sir baconface

Haha. I’m probably better sticking to writing shit posts on Bluemoon.

I wouldn’t put it all down to malpractice or incompetence, to be fair. Some is simply down to a changing world. Like who would want to buy asbestos products nowadays? Or why not import steel from the Far East? And some of what I mentioned was the result of radical regulatory change.

On a personal level, it’s a case of trying to be nimble and marketable enough to move on at the right time. Easier said than done for many of us!

Although more or less retired now, I do a bit of freelancing with emerging digital companies. That brings home just how quickly newcomers can emerge and established companies go down the shitter. “Disruptive technology” is the buzz phrase. Yet one or two of these shooting stars will themselves have vanished in five years’ time.

I also keep myself busy on voluntary projects.

If I do write that book, I’ll be sure to send you a signed first edition. “To SB with love from SB” :)

7. asaluttar

asaluttar

China car sales are down as well (biggest growth market for Jag). The industrial world is headed for a recession.

And how many people do you think did even half of their Xmas shopping in stores?
    Hopefully that will lead to some much needed correction in business rental rates.

8. asaluttar

asaluttar

And I suspect that will be the case whether or not Brexit happens at all. ..

9. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

Would be a prize possession. I knew not all of it would be down to incompetence, but readers love a good story about a business debacle, mistake, or miscalculation, so that’s where the money would be. ;-)

I’ve been brought up in that ‘startup culture’ you describe, and have the savings and scars to match. I may actually want to engage you at some point for a “In the Trenches” event about the trials and travails of market entry and expansion I am looking to put together later this year, if you’re available then.

And funny you should mention steel, there’s a bit about Donald Trump’s affiliations to Evraz (majority owned by none other than Roman Abramovich) that I am currently researching (completely unaffiliated with my work). It would explain (among many other actions he has taken) quite a bit about why Trump wants the $5+ billion for a “border wall” that he recently stated could easily be steel slats.

I am trying to substantiate a few bits of info before making a claim, though.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2019
  10. sir baconface

sir baconface

Not sure if I can help but feel free to PM me when the time comes.

Donald may have his little foibles (!) but he appreciates his support from the rust-belt.