Door Finishes. Help!

Nicer finish than varnish for sure but not really durable. Far too much work to avoid getting ditr in the wax, especially around the handles.
By waxing you rub into the grain, once done then you buffer the wax to give a high intensity shine, for those that were in the forces, it's the same as bulling the boots, so you are applying layers to build a hard surface which is durable but with a high shine. Yes alot of work but stunning results

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

By waxing you rub into the grain, once done then you buffer the wax to give a high intensity shine, for those that were in the forces, it's the same as bulling the boots, so you are applying layers to build a hard surface which is durable but with a high shine. Yes alot of work but stunning results

Couldn't agree more about the end product. I use a lot of wax finishes, oil then wax looks superb too, I justl think varnish is the less maintenance option.

Liming them would lighten them up a tad as it would put in a whiteness.

I am running out of ideas also.

French polish? Again not so practical. Maybe shellac grain filler then wax.
Don't know why I'm advocating varnish, it brings back memories of my uncle. He died when he fell into a vat of varnish. Horrible death but a lovely finish. :-(

Just jizz on the door then fuck off to the pub for an hour or two. Door will be dry when you get back as it's a water based covering. You may need a sheet of fine sandpaper to remove any streaks and knobbly bits though
They are 4 panel doors, and there are 11 of them. How much jizz will I need? Bearing in mind that I am 70, will it take more than a year to produce?

To all the blues who have posted suggestions, many thanks. Have given you all a like, so you know Iv'e read your post, even the jizzy idea. I asked my wife if she would apply the jizz by blowing raspberries. She politely declined as in "fuck off".

Last edited:
French polish, shellac, button polish would all be to dark for what the op is after imo.

Many years ago I used to be a colour matcher and made these products for cutomers, most products
already had a formula so these were mass produced in 1000ltr - 4200ltr containers, jf new was to be done
we would formulate from 100ml and then build to 1ltr, 5ltr and 25ltr all depending on the speck.

You are in a better place than Me as you are using it now, I was in the 80s

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.