Dortmund Bus

An "Islamist" suspect has been detained by police investigating a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus.

"Two suspects from the Islamist spectrum have become the focus of our investigation. Both of their apartments were searched, and one of the two has been detained," said Frauke Koehle, from the federal prosecutor's office.

She said the explosives used in the attack contained metal pins - one of which buried itself into a headrest on the coach - adding it was lucky "nothing worse happened".

Three identical letters left at the scene of the blasts linked the attack to German involvement in the fight against Islamic State in Syria.

They mentioned the Berlin Christmas market attack carried out by an IS-inspired terrorist in 2016, according to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

The letters, reportedly written in German, began: "In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful."
The threat would last until German planes are withdrawn from the war zone, and the US airbase at Ramstein, near the French border, is closed. the letters added.

They were found near the team coach and their authenticity is being verified, as detectives have not ruled out the possibility that it might be a deliberate attempt by the attackers to mislead investigators.

A fourth letter, posted online, claiming responsibility which could have come from anti-fascists has been discounted by police following "serious doubts" over its authenticity

Borussia Dortmund president Reinhard Rauball said he was confident the team would rise to the occasion when they do take to the field, despite the ordeal.

"How is the team doing? You can imagine yourself whether they slept well or badly," he said.

"This is certainly a difficult situation for the team which, I think, has not experienced such a situation before.

"However, we expect and I am confident that the team will do its best and deliver a spectacle in the Champions League this evening."

Monaco fans were offered a place to stay for the night by Borussia Dortmund supporters on social media after the match was postponed for 24 hours.

The German club sent out a tweet about the scheme under the hashtag #bedforawayfans.

Fans of both clubs posted pictures of themselves enjoying meals and a drink together.

Monaco also offered its fans €80 each to stay in a hotel for the night.

http://news.sky.com/story/borussia-dortmund-team-bus-attack-police-probing-islamist-link-10834285

Beggars belief that a note using the words "merciful" and "gracious" would be used to accompany a nail bomb.

Not sure it's fair for the Dortmund team to be expected to play today but if that's the way it's going to be fingers crossed they can lift themselves for this evening. The fantastic response from both clubs and both sets of fans is the last thing the people behind these attacks want to see. Would be amazing if they can pack out the stadium this evening with both teams coming together for a great spectacle and the two sets of of opposing fans from two different countries coming together to create a great atmosphere. Going off what i've seen online it looks to me as though a bit of a friendship has been struck up between the fans of the two clubs off the back of this, so on that basis I think we can brand the attack a resounding failure. Best possible reaction to this kind of thing in my opinion.

An "Islamist" suspect has been detained by police investigating a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus.

"Two suspects from the Islamist spectrum have become the focus of our investigation. Both of their apartments were searched, and one of the two has been detained," said Frauke Koehle, from the federal prosecutor's office.

She said the explosives used in the attack contained metal pins - one of which buried itself into a headrest on the coach - adding it was lucky "nothing worse happened".

Three identical letters left at the scene of the blasts linked the attack to German involvement in the fight against Islamic State in Syria.

They mentioned the Berlin Christmas market attack carried out by an IS-inspired terrorist in 2016, according to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

The letters, reportedly written in German, began: "In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful."
The threat would last until German planes are withdrawn from the war zone, and the US airbase at Ramstein, near the French border, is closed. the letters added.

They were found near the team coach and their authenticity is being verified, as detectives have not ruled out the possibility that it might be a deliberate attempt by the attackers to mislead investigators.

Quality deflection from the Schalke Ultras but it looks as though they've seen through it.

Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra says he is "doing much better" after being injured when his side's bus was damaged by explosions in Germany.

Bartra, 26, fractured his wrist in the incident, which led to Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final first-leg against Monaco being postponed.

The match has been rescheduled for Wednesday, with a 17:45 BST kick-off.

"Thank you everybody for all your support and your messages," Spaniard Bartra posted on social media.

"All my strength to my team-mates, supporters and fans and to [Dortmund] for tonight's match."

The German club said Bartra had an operation on Tuesday after "breaking the radial bone in his arm and getting bits of debris lodged in his hand".

The centre-back, who has 12 international caps, joined the Bundesliga side from Spanish champions Barcelona in June last year.

Captain Marcel Schmelzer said: "We're all in shock and our thoughts are with Marc. We hope that he will make a speedy recovery."

The damage doesn't look severe enough for it to have been a proper bomb.

Probably some nutter messing about with something he knocked up from using the contents of several fireworks.

The trouble is these events get so much publicity that it just makes the authorities task harder, because as well as tracking down the trained terrorist they also have to contend with the rank amateurs with mental problems.
The other thing that worries me, even if it's just a random right wing **** nut, is that it (and the publicity surrounding it) gives these wankers the idea. First we had Nice, then Germany then Westminster with ****s mowing people down. These "lone wolf" copy cat cowards will be looking at yesterday and thinking how they can do it "properly" and its petrifying.

The other thing that worries me, even if it's just a random right wing **** nut, is that it (and the publicity surrounding it) gives these wankers the idea. First we had Nice, then Germany then Westminster with ****s mowing people down. These "lone wolf" copy cat cowards will be looking at yesterday and thinking how they can do it "properly" and its petrifying.

I was thinking similar, the increasing regularity will possibly breed more confidence to go ahead with those on the fence and give more conviction to those who have decided to already.

Sadly it's probably just a matter of time. Football grounds/crowds are the perfect soft target for these sort of cowards and realistically the security is never going to be near an airport which increases the atraction. Fingers crossed muslim owned clubs will be less of a target than American owned ones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.