Double jeopardy penalty or red card rule

Xhavenjoe

Watching the highlights of the Madrid PSG match the commentator mentioned the double jeopardy rule where a red card is not given to a goalkeeper if he gives away a penalty. Is this rule in the premier league as well ?
I know why they are doing it but a foul inside the box is surely the same as one outside . Courtois would have been sent off if the foul was 6 inches outside the box but only a yelow if 6 inches inside the box.
Also is it the same ruling for a defender if last man back. Sent off for a foul outside the box but only yellow carded if foul leads to a penalty ?

Was it the Atalanta game the other week where the ref gave a penalty and booked their player, but on checking VAR he gave a freekick (which we scored from anyway) but surely at that point he should have been sent off as last man? I cant remember the exact incident now but remember wondering at the time why it wasnt changed to red.

Was it the Atalanta game the other week where the ref gave a penalty and booked their player, but on checking VAR he gave a freekick (which we scored from anyway) but surely at that point he should have been sent off as last man? I cant remember the exact incident now but remember wondering at the time why it wasnt changed to red.

Cos they were playing us. The striker diving over Bravo and realising there'd be no contact then kicks him on his way over ends up getting us a red card.

He just judged it wasn't a 'last man', that's all. I don't think it was a terrible decision, as there was another defender fairly close.

There was a Bayern match where it did happen. A penalty + yellow card was given, Bayern claimed it was outside the area, and VAR proved them right. End result was a freekick, a red card, and Bayern conceded 7 (I think).

Really silly rule. Once you start having differential punishments for the same offence you get into trouble, see accidental hand ball in area. Too much fiddling with rules confuses fans. Note to international board: Football is a simple game.

I like the rule, the sending off is because it stopped a clear opportunity on goal, if you have a penalty you regain that clear opportunity on goal, I would though change it slightly that if you stop a certain goal ie player brings down the attacker when they have a near certain goal / open net you get the goal - like a penalty try in Rugby.

if the VAR team did its job correctly and treat everybody with the same rules and views then VAR would work. but with what we all know about the corruption in football and the so called elite teams and the power they have over the officials and governing bodies like UEFA. its now just a tool to give more of advantage to them to get a result or in another game when you want to stop your nearness challengers its a double dip win win win for the elite

Yes - but the delay and review makes it easy for them to just say it was a yellow incident. Refs are always going to be reluctant to send a keeper off so the bar will be higher. Not saying that is right just the way it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.