Double Pivot

We won the League Cup last season & got our arses kicked in the other 3. Prior to that we had Vincent Kompany.

There is no argument that we wouldn't be better, if we had midfielders who fill the criteria I mentioned.

We may be good enough to win stuff anyway.

There isn't even an argument that we wouldn't be better with the Dortmund Gundogan pre injury & Fernandinho 3 years younger.

We also got 100 points and 98 points with two of those three midfielders.

If you are saying they had the attributes mentioned on top of the skillset our midfielders already posses then i can agree, but i dont think there has been a midfielder in history that can do all that!

Personally i don't thing our midfield is an issue at all, i think 90% of the drop of last season was the loss of Laporte and Sane, both of which have been addressed.

If you are saying they had the attributes mentioned on top of the skillset our midfielders already posses then i can agree, but i dont think there has been a midfielder in history that can do all that!

Personally i don't thing our midfield is an issue at all, i think 90% of the drop of last season was the loss of Laporte and Sane, both of which have been addressed.

We have lost Kompany, who was the heart of the defence even when not playing. We've lost one of the greatest creative mids in history.

I think there have been many midfielders thtoughout the ages who could do more or less what Gundogan does & also do much more besides. Likewise the current, old, version of Fernandinho. Rodri ? No problem.

To go to an extreme, imagine a 'double pivot' with the modern day version of Colin Bell & Roy Keane. City would never lose.

But in those seasons we rarely if ever played both of them together in the PL. When pep decided to be extra cautious and changed it for the CL, we got thumped. By Tottenham in the first leg when he paired Gundogun with Fernandinho and we lost 1-0. And then against Liverpool the following year he was even more crazy- dropped Kdb to play gundogun as a right winger and we lost 3-0

I'm not here to bash Gundogan but he most certainly did not "guide us to the title". He played very well in some games and was absolutely bullied in others, almost costing us the title.

He deserves credit but he was hardly world class and dragging us over the finish line.
We won the title despite gundogun and went out of the CL mainly because of him

He never gets bullied.

Different people see different things but for me he was the stand out player in the run in, week after week putting in a high quality performance. Not quite to the level of Yaya in the 2012 run in or even Dzeko in the last few games in 2014 but praiseworthy nonetheless
That has to be one of the craziest posts. If you think gundogun was stand out at any time you are completely deluded. I know football is a game of opinions but how can you see something like that unless you are supporting the opponent

Those who don’t recognise the merits of Gundogan in our team simply don’t appreciate the style of football that Pep is trying to establish. Not saying they know any more or less about football, that would be insulting. Different strokes for different folks. Make no mistake about it. He’s a truly magnificent player and technically very gifted.
If you enjoy midfielders passing sideways and forwards, hiding behind opponents when playing a strong team because they can't be brave enough to receive a pass to help out a team mate, avoiding shooting when they have a chance because they're scared, and taking all the momentum out by slowing down the game then great. But I'm never going to be a fan of that kind of football

If you enjoy midfielders passing sideways and forwards, hiding behind opponents when playing a strong team because they can't be brave enough to receive a pass to help out a team mate, avoiding shooting when they have a chance because they're scared, and taking all the momentum out by slowing down the game then great. But I'm never going to be a fan of that kind of football
Should read ... Sideways and backwards" not forwards.

I do get the feeling he’s acting under instruction when he does this...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.