Double Pivot

Vienna_70

Team supported
Treble Winners 2022/23.
I thought it worked very well last nigh. Both Dinho and Rodri played brilliantly, shielding the back four and distributing equally as well.

I know the lack of availabie personnel forced Pep's hand to a certain extent last night, and he has used Gündoğan with Rodri in the past, but do you think he will persist with this pairing when more players are fit?

I think it has its place in Pep's plans, but only against certain opponents, and only as long as Fernandinho can maintain his levels of dynamism.

I thought it worked very well last nigh. Both Dinho and Rodri played brilliantly, shielding the back four and distributing equally as well.

I know the lack of availabie personnel forced Pep's hand to a certain extent last night, and he has used Gündoğan with Rodri in the past, but do you think he will persist with this pairing when more players are fit?

I think it has its place in Pep's plans, but only against certain opponents, and only as long as Fernandinho can maintain his levels of dynamism.
Think this is behind it and why I anticipated it to be used more this season

" Spain’s youngest ever La Liga manager, accredited with the revolution of the 4-2-3-1 and a man Pep Guardiola himself calls ‘my maestro’. Juan Manuel ‘Juanma’ Lillo is a Basque born coach and a football romanticist whose ideas have transformed the face of the modern game. From futsal to management to philosophy, this is his story.

Fern was loose in his passing, if we next-gen Fern in there it would be great.

Sadly Gundogan will come back in for the majority and we'll fall into the same issues as last season without the ball.

It worked well but I think it meant we gave the ball away more in the second half, maybe just needs time. Think it would look better with Cancelo fit and or a left footed winger but those don't seem to be a priority.

I think when the manager has more faith in the back 4 we will revert, in the lesser games, to one holding midfielder.

European matches and games against Liverpool, United, Chelsea it will be the goto formation.

Of course it is all about personnel. If we had a real top quality, creative deep-lying midfielder the formation would work a treat. I wonder if this is the reason we have been linked with Aouar

Fern was loose in his passing, if we next-gen Fern in there it would be great.

Sadly Gundogan will come back in for the majority and we'll fall into the same issues as last season without the ball.
Depends whether you want this to be a tactical discussion or just another thread with the chance to slag Gundugan off.

Different games require different formations and tactics. It worked last night in the first half but for many other games (especially home games against bottom half teams) we don’t need two defensive mids.

Also against good teams at times it hinders our ball retention high up the pitch and winning the ball back high up the pitch because there aren’t enough players in the final third either passing the ball or pressing to win it back.

When Wolves changed their tactics and upped their game in the second half last night, we didn’t have enough creativity in the final third and we continually gave the ball away because our forward creators were too far apart and isolated too often. So Wolves we’re getting the ball back too easily and too often and playing balls down the channels and wings, bypassing our two defensive mids making them null and void.

It was noticeable to me that we were a man short high up the pitch to play the way we wanted. Especially as we were tiring as the game went on.

We nearly let that game slip in the second half because our final third play was not good enough and didn’t have enough players undertaking the final third tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.